re-sticking & insulating heater

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
pearl29mi

re-sticking & insulating heater

Post by pearl29mi » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:39 pm

I have a heater that won't stick. How can I restick it? And how do I insulate it?
6 Caribbean Hermies~ Liberty|Spike|Freddie|Pinchers|Pip|

LadyMorrgian

Re: re-sticking & insulating heater

Post by LadyMorrgian » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:55 pm

What kind of heater is it? Some can not be safely insulated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:33 pm

You can use packing, duct or aluminum tape to stick any heater back on. Make sure to check the directions (you can go to the company's website and see the insert if it's missing) to find out if it's something that can be insulated.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:24 pm

Speaking from past experience the UTH pads manufactured by Zoo-Med ie the Repti-Therm line are not safe when insulated at all, I tried doing the aluminum foil and thermal foam padding combo to insulate my old 50-60 gallon rated Repti-Therm and after a week I noticed a weird odor coming from the hermitcrab enclosure and when I looked closer at the pad it had gotten so hot that the outer layer had bubbled up and there were holes melted completely through the pad.

The coil style pads are often just not insulate-able but the Ultra-Therm pads are designed to be insulated and work safely as such.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Angizme

Post by Angizme » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:53 pm

You can duct tape it on

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:00 am

If I wasn't so lazy, tired, sore, I would get up and look see what brand my heat mat is but I'm pretty darn sure it's zoo med or something w med on it...I have insulation covering the back of my 55 gal tank. It's a Styrofoam type you use for houses I think..the library had got it and I used it to draw on and cut stuff for summer projects. Been covered for years.I have a heat mat on a 29 gal tank I have duct taped down..I used a blow dryer on high w a plastic spatula to gently lift it off another tank