Wish me luck...

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
megmaholm

Wish me luck...

Post by megmaholm » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:35 pm

My smaller tank, the 40B, is way overdue to have more sand added and have the decor/shells cleaned. I've been procrastinating since I'm pregnant and sick and have no energy, BUT I'm going for it as soon as my husband gets home and can lift the bag of sand for me, haha. Probably won't do a lot of rearranging since I like the layout, but I may have to rethink some things with more sand added. I hadn't realized how much it had settled, oops.

Anyway, I'll try to post some pics after I'm all done if I'm not dead from exhaustion on the floor ;)
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

purpleperson

Re: Wish me luck...

Post by purpleperson » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:39 pm

Good luck :) hope to see pics when you're done. (If you're not too tired or course) ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rainbow_crab

Post by rainbow_crab » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:32 pm

Good luck! dont over do it either! I always get nervous when adding any substrate. Hope you feel better being pregnant and sick is miserable!

Topic author
megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:42 pm

Thanks guys! I'm a little nervous to add more sand, and I think I may have a patch of bacterial bloom starting. Sigh. I don't have a false bottom in this tank and I've had the setup for a year with no issues, but there's a black section by the glass that has the nasty odor. I'm gonna have to carefully dig that area and see what's going on. I don't have many crabs down, luckily.

Oh and I won't overdo it, that's why I have a husband to do the hard labor! :lol:

rainbow_crab

Post by rainbow_crab » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:04 pm

Good make him do the hard stuff for sure! Bacteria blooms are so gross smelling I hope the smell doesn't get to you! I was super sensitive with smells when I was pregnant with my son. Just go slow and carefully and I'm sure you won't have any problems.

Topic author
megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:37 pm

Oh yeah, I've been sensitive to smells! I lost a crab last month and used my nose to track him down in the shell shop. Even after he was sealed in a baggie I could smell him. So far the second trimester is better than the first, lol.

I decided to dig because of the bloom and thank God I did - I found a naked, soft crab. I have no idea what happened but he re-shelled immediately and is in iso with the rest of his exo. I'm guessing someone hijacked his shell but have no idea why. Argh!! I'm take a breather for a second since it freaked me out.

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:03 pm

Good save-it sounds like the little fella will be okay. Looking forward to pics.
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

Topic author
megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:23 pm

And done. Found a second naked crab and I have no idea what's going on! He's isoed as well, and is missing both walking legs on the left side. I had to hold off putting all the decor back in since I have the 2 fresh molters in containers in there. I have a 3rd in a different iso tank since he's extremely sluggish and I'm suspecting he's about to surface molt.

Got rid of all the nasty sand and I think we're good to go. I'll post pics in just a minute.

Topic author
megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:26 pm

Entire tank. On the list is deeper water dishes - all the crabs can easily swap their shell water but can't completely submerge, so that's my next addition.

Biggie doing what he does best.

Right side, with the shell shop.

Left side. Hanging coconut with moss in it, plus that's where their food dishes are.

It's not quite how I want it, but it'll work for now. I'm ready to take a hot shower. Whew.

rainbow_crab

Post by rainbow_crab » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:10 pm

It looks good! Well it's probably a good thing you dug into the substrate and found those crabs! I recently had a crab come up from a molt naked and very pink. His shell was hijacked during his molt and now a female larger then him is wearing it. It's crazy when your pregnant how sensitive you become to smells. I couldn't stand the smell of anything for awhile. Hopefully the rest of your preggerness goes smoothly for you! I love your hanging coconut house it's so awesome! Good luck with your reshelled crabs i hope they keep there she'll on and do well.

Topic author
megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:16 pm

rainbow_crab wrote:It looks good! Well it's probably a good thing you dug into the substrate and found those crabs! I recently had a crab come up from a molt naked and very pink. His shell was hijacked during his molt and now a female larger then him is wearing it. It's crazy when your pregnant how sensitive you become to smells. I couldn't stand the smell of anything for awhile. Hopefully the rest of your preggerness goes smoothly for you! I love your hanging coconut house it's so awesome! Good luck with your reshelled crabs i hope they keep there she'll on and do well.
Thank you!! I'm always hesitant to dig but I'm glad I did this time. I had a crab come up back in October in my other tank with no shell. He had some crippled up legs but after molting once in iso he's back to normal. I'd like to go a while with no crab drama, haha! And I'm proud to say the nasty bacterial smell didn't make me gag once ;)

Topic author
megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:19 pm

Forgot to add this pic...my 2 helpers. Ha!

They helped by tripping me, nosing through every thing, and generally being total pains. Lol!

purpleperson

Post by purpleperson » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:23 pm

Looks good! Hopefully those molters pull through for you :)
You have good looking dogs, so cute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:25 pm

It looks great! Also LOVE the coconut house. Those plastic flowers Biggie is trampling all over are really cool too! And the puppies, :love:: :D
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:43 pm

Those dogs cannot be trusted! Don't think they are all innocent because they are so adorable. Lol At least one of them is a crab food thief!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above