Pvc pipe?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Kermie16

Pvc pipe?

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:14 am

Is PVC pipe safe to put in tat?? Thinking of trying the underground (under sub) tunnel another HCA member recommended. Was thinking of using silicone to attach seashells on inside and to help hermies climb in and out.

JulesRolyCrab

Re: Pvc pipe?

Post by JulesRolyCrab » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:31 am

As far as I know it is safe unless heated, and if it's underground that shouldn't be a problem. Just rinse or soak and make sure is is large enough to accomidate any crab with any crazy shell w/out them getting stuck! Cool idea, I'd love to hear if it works/see some pictures! :D

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:26 pm

Ok! Great! Will post pic of what we end up doing:) Thanks for your help!!

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:13 pm

I was thinking of switching out my large bamboo tube for a pvc tube due to the bamboo molding.. but will mold grow on pvc? And if so would it matter if it's underground? (I thought that was a fun idea, too!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:28 pm

Hmmmm, mold CAN grow on plastic and I definitely don't want to take that chance. I think I will lean more towards glass. Maybe a wide rimmed tall vase from hobby lobby. I will have to shop around and see what I can find! Thanks for the heads up, hprmom :D

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:46 am

People use PVC in their false bottoms all the time.

Something I did find out this week, however, is that a fellow crabber who has marine crabs put an item made out of PVC in her thin striped's tank; (she didn't know it was PVC), and the crab died. She'd had it for two years and the only new addition to the tank was the plastic item.

That said, however, people have been using the PVC pipes for false bottoms in land crab tanks for some time now and I do not know if they caused any ill effects (other than some persistent crabs making their way through the false bottoms entirely and getting trapped!).

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:52 am

soilentgringa wrote:People use PVC in their false bottoms all the time.

Something I did find out this week, however, is that a fellow crabber who has marine crabs put an item made out of PVC in her thin striped's tank; (she didn't know it was PVC), and the crab died. She'd had it for two years and the only new addition to the tank was the plastic item.

That said, however, people have been using the PVC pipes for false bottoms in land crab tanks for some time now and I do not know if they caused any ill effects (other than some persistent crabs making their way through the false bottoms entirely and getting trapped!).
Yeah, don't want to take any chances :/. I think we will look for something glass :) Thanks!!