Any concerns with Mac's Creatures and Critters log?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
OhSoCrabulous

Any concerns with Mac's Creatures and Critters log?

Post by OhSoCrabulous » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:43 am

Just bought one for my crabbies, but I've read some mixed reviews of wood types for crab.

The website for Mac's Creatures and Critters says all wood products are made from either Grapewood, Douglas fir, or Manzanita, but it also says, "Dyed with pet safe food coloring" which is concerning.

Anyone have experience with this brand? I soaked it in distilled water and then baked it at 250 degree for 30 minutes to clean it.

Thanks for the inpurt folks! :crabbigsmile:

PTCrabs

Re: Any concerns with Mac's Creatures and Critters log?

Post by PTCrabs » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:44 am

I just threw one away due to mold :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:31 pm

Lots of crabbers use these and the crabs really like them for climbing and hiding. As @PTCrabs said, these logs are prone to mold so just soak it in SW for an hour or two and then either sun-dry it or bake it in a low degree (250) oven for a few hours until dry.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Vidikron

Post by Vidikron » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:55 pm

PTCrabs wrote:I just threw one away due to mold :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same. I had one and it was a non-stop mold farm. I tried treating it with salt water, vinegar, and hydrogen peroxide. At best all any of those did was stop the mold for a few days, but it always came back.

Topic author
OhSoCrabulous

Post by OhSoCrabulous » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:50 pm

Crabinski wrote:Lots of crabbers use these and the crabs really like them for climbing and hiding. As @PTCrabs said, these logs are prone to mold so just soak it in SW for an hour or two and then either sun-dry it or bake it in a low degree (250) oven for a few hours until dry.
Thanks for the detailed cleaning instructions! I'll give it a try and watch for mold. Glad to hear the material isn't toxic for crabbies.