Petition against painted shells...

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

MythrilDelight

Post by MythrilDelight » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:48 am

Neither of my crabbies were in painted shells but I will say that those crabbies that I looked at and considered (with painted shells) were very lethargic, unhappy, not social at all and quite aggressive. Ive also seen 2 at one pet store that were half out of their shell...as if half of their body was stuck inside...

I do not see the point of having painted shells on any crabbie or turtle for that fact. It is not natural and not healthy.

I signed your petition because painted shells disgust me even more so because they consider it a vanity and not only charge more....but the crabbies arent in good shape when you bring them home.

happy hermit

Post by happy hermit » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:38 am

i don't get it you can get natural shells that look way better than the stupid painted shells they make the crabs wear
13 Aussie hermit crabs, 3 dogs 2 cats and 5 fish
but hermit crabs are the best

PinoyCrabber

Post by PinoyCrabber » Sun May 16, 2010 6:12 am

Even though I have'nt owned hermit crabs yet, but I really hate it when people buy painted shells instead of natural ones. I try my best to educate the salesladies and people in the pet store about painted shells and what effects they have. Since there is only one known hermit crab store in the Philippines, it is easy to inform the people about this. I'm signing the petition. :) NO TO PAINTED SHELLS!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed May 19, 2010 6:16 am

honestly guys / crabbers i love painted shells. but before i purchase my hermit crabs i researched first and i dint know painted ones . those painted shell mae me inlove and never refuse to buy one . and then i know that painted are harmful for crabs, and i also dont want my crabs be sick and stuck on those painted ones. so i then buy a natural shells on the "kultura"(which means culture in English) section, in sm city davao yeah i live in philippines. and as far as i can remember when there are no hermit crabs selling on petco or here in davao , i already love to watched on those natural ones. and then when petco sell hermit crabs , then up coming kiosk had came which called "the crabitat" and many hermit crabs are on painted ones and it was their grand opening, and many people were their and it was so very crowded because i think they are very curious about what they sell. yeah your right because of those painted shells. on in their first day many had buy. and all of them are kids because of the crab shells. they were eye catching for kids cause it look like a toy and whats on it. huhuhuhu

i cant resist to buy one and yes i bought one , i know that they are bad for them so i dint chose a crab base on its shell i choose them based on their activeness.

and their are many species of coenobita perlatus . good place who wants a perlatus as a pet. like meee. i also love purple pincher . but they dont have one. on sunday they have new crabs a viola it is a medium size with natural ones. i love watching them with turbo than comparing to the crabs with painted ones cause they look sick.
i bought a indo on a turbo shells.

well thats it. : ]
-------------------------
owner of 9 crabs
indo-monster lll
straw-kim ki bum , dongho , eli , bhubiey , woo , kiseop
ecuadorian-unknown , poker
visit my blog :http://cycyandmylittlemonster.blogspot.com/

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed May 26, 2010 9:07 pm

A Friend of mine bought me a Purple Pincer he found at Petco. The poor thing had a painted shell that was not only decorated so that he could not dig but it was also broken and sharp and cutting him.

He changed into a polished turbo shell within moments and rested in the isolation tank comfortable. Unfortunately the next morning he was gone.

These shells are a travesty. They force them out of their real shells and jam them into the colorful ones with thin dowel rods. Most do not survive.

You have my full support to rid the world of this cruelty.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:27 pm

Bettas can be in small cups like that, they do not breathe oxygen in the water but the same as us. The blue stuff is supposed to be a stress coat stuff but some are just beyond stressed and keel over.

As for painted shells...that's silly looking IMO
What's wrong with a nice natural shell?
I doubt the trend will disappear.

This is like way back when turtle shells were sold painted, that kills them. Those shells are their bodies!

SlurExe97

Post by SlurExe97 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:47 am

I used to have 6 painted hermits as a gift from my teacher (told her to stop buying paintd ones) and none of them survived long, even though they changed shells. Those paints stink. managed to claw some of the paint off tho

Raincoat-Vigilante

Post by Raincoat-Vigilante » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:38 pm

Hermit crabs are beautiful creatures.
And in my opinion, there's nothing more beautiful or stunning than something that nature provides. The most beautiful flowers aren't fake, and the most beautiful shells aren't painted.
If painted shells were good for crabs, or if they had no negative effects, there is still no way on earth I would buy them. Nature is the way to go!

On the other hand, I would opt to buy glass shells because of the shortage of shells for the crabs in the wild.
Purple Pinchers: Osiris, Zydeco, Jalapeno, Jetsam, Lapis
Ecuadorians: Manfred, Fugue
Bettas: Lady Fish, Nepenthe, Nero Angelo
and three platies, three guppies, two cherry barbs, and a blue mystery snail.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:49 pm

I feel bad for hermit crabs! :banghead: I think hermit crabs should be free!:brave:

nibbler125

Post by nibbler125 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:29 pm

natural shells look better than painted shells anyways.

Alma

Re: Petition against painted shells...

Post by Alma » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:32 pm

:D I did it. I signed it. I thought it would be a little harder. :D

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:30 am

The sales lady at the mall convinced me that crabs har color preferences and love painted shells :/ then I saw the video on YouTube of how they get them in there and felt sick for days, I can't imagine that being done to my poor Georgie :( it's disgusting
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Topic author
myxomatosis

Post by myxomatosis » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:34 am

If you think the painted shell is disgusting wait until you see:

That's a "Cars" character I think.

They're also using college football helmets. You can almost see the silver/white helms in the background.

I just wish people were more motivated to read up on things they keep as pets. Pet stores should be responsible for educating themselves on proper animal care in my opinion. If you think animals are being mistreated, I think the best thing to do is tell the shop owner directly. It could be he didn't know, and you could save lots of lives. If he already knows, or doesn't seem to care STOP SHOPPING THAT PET STORE! Losing your dollars will make the most impact. The petition is silly though. I don't like it but they do that to appeal to more people and move more hermies. Just stop shopping the stores you don't believe in.

Topic author
myxomatosis

Post by myxomatosis » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:59 am

I picked up a painted shell PP yesterday from the pet store. I wanted one of the few E's I saw there, but my daughter insisted on this butterfly painted shell.

When we got home she switched shells within 4 hours.

Rocky

Re:

Post by Rocky » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:35 am

SlurExe wrote:I used to have 6 painted hermits as a gift from my teacher (told her to stop buying paintd ones) and none of them survived long, even though they changed shells. Those paints stink. managed to claw some of the paint off tho
those kind of shells are white with light brown (not quite dots) on them, theyre very pretty natural shells! try soaking them in warm water with a little vinegar in it overnight, then use a tool like a flat edge screwdriver (i used my exactoknife) and take it off, it comes off like a dream after soaking
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.