Salt Water Measurement

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author

Salt Water Measurement

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:02 pm

When I mix salt water I've always just guest the amount of Oceanic Natural Sea Salt Mix and I usually go a little bit overboard because www.HERMIT-CRABS.com said that if the salt level is too high then the Hermit Crab can balance it out by using the fresh water is this OK ? Also if that is OK for most Hermit Crabs is it still OK for Strawberries that need to fully submerge ? 8)

Topic author
Willow

Post by Willow » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:17 pm

I don't know if guessing will provide the proper measurements. That might work for PPs, since salt water isn't as crucial for them, but Straws are so sensitive, I wouldn't risk it. I use 3/4 cup of salt mix per gallon of water for the Straws. Yes, if it's too strong they can dilute it themselves, so it is better to mix it too strong than to mix it too weak. But I really think you should start measuring it a bit more exactly, just so you aren't risking your Straw's health.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:54 pm

Willow wrote: I use 3/4 cup of salt mix per gallon of water for the Straws. Yes, if it's too strong they can dilute it themselves, so it is better to mix it too strong than to mix it too weak.
Me too.....And I use Oceanic Brand, also. :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:12 pm

From the FAQs over to the right:
Oceanic Natural Sea Salt Mix
package to make 5 gallons indicates .29 lbs/gallon. I measured the package and it was approximately 2 1/2 cups. Which is 1/2 cup per gallon or 8 TBSP

* 1 1/2 tsp per 8 oz (1 cup) water
* 1 TBSP per 16 oz (1 pint)
* 2 TBSP per 32 oz (1 quart)
* 4 TBSP per 64 oz (1/2 gallon)
* 8 TBSP per 128 oz (1 gallon)

*This is the salt I am currently using and 8 TBSP makes a specific gravity of 1.021. I use an additional tablespoon to raise the SG for my C. Perlatus. I also provide Doc Wellfish crystals in the food dish as well.
Its up to you how salty you want it and too salty is better than not that salty, but you should probably at least measure how much salt you're putting in, just so you can be sure you're doing the right thing ;).

KeY+
:banghead:

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:36 pm

Recently it has been upsized from 1/2 of a cup per gallon to 3/4 - 1 cup per gallon. I usually go about 3/4 (and sometimes a little over). :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:43 am

Thanx much I'll be more exact from now one :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:02 am

Kilimanjaro wrote:Recently it has been upsized from 1/2 of a cup per gallon to 3/4 - 1 cup per gallon. I usually go about 3/4 (and sometimes a little over). :)
wait, I didn't get the memo :wink:

KeY+

glacier44

Post by glacier44 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:00 pm

The suggested amount of Oceanic brand been changed to 3/4 cup/Gallon for all species, not just Straws?

I would like more input on this as I've been using the 1/2 Cup/Gallon for over a year now. If it has changed we should update the FAQ on Mixing Saltwater.
An Alaskan Crabber!
Furry Paws- Best dog sim game ever!
http://www.furry-paws.com/main/index/18

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:29 pm

I think they should

Topic author
Willow

Post by Willow » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:30 pm

1/2 cup per gallon is the correct measurement to make the water as salty as the ocean. This is the measurement that marine fish keepers use (except in larger quantities, of course). I hadn't heard about using extra salt for species other than Straws, but I do know it won't hurt them, either. Probably it is better to use more, like I said, they can always dilute it with fresh water if they need to.

glacier44

Post by glacier44 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:13 pm

ok cool :) maybe I'll bump up my mix a bit and see how they like it. Thanks for the new info! :D
An Alaskan Crabber!
Furry Paws- Best dog sim game ever!
http://www.furry-paws.com/main/index/18

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:46 pm

keybowvio wrote: wait, I didn't get the memo :wink:

KeY+
Found the thread at last! Here was the update to 3/4 cup. :)