Molting issues

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Sensi

Molting issues

Post by Sensi » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:20 pm

Why oh why do they decide to molt at the same time? Ok...so I had a molter in the moss pit who I found naked. That was about two weeks ago. At the begining of this week I found two crabs in a hole. One had just molted. I moved it to iso just to make sure no one had him as a snack. My iso isn't ideal. In fact, my whole set up at the moment isn't ideal. My 10 gal tank is a bit over crowded and my iso is just a tiny 5 gal. I have a 75 gal that I want to set up but finances have kept me from it since I bought the tank over the summer. So, my apartment is upside down right now due to a broken pipe under the concrete floor and crabbies are residing in my bedroom. I went in to feed them and saw a hole....with a leg and a claw sticking out of it..they didn't seem to be connected to anything :shock: Upon closer inspection I find a fairly recently molted Popcorn who someone must have dug up. THEN I check the moss pit (I check it often now after finding a molter there) to find what at first I thought was a dead crab. Floppy legs....no movement...But some of the legs look like they may be hollow and the eyes look like...well, like just shells. SO...my point is I've got three crabs in different stages of molting and a 5gal iso tank. For the moment I've put the most recent (the one with the exo still inside the shell) in iso with the one from the beginning of the week. I'm just not sure what to do with all these molting crabs! I guess it's a testament to my good care for them that I have so many molting so often.
Due to all this I am considering setting up my big tank with subtrate and what decor I have. My thing was that I didn't want them in it until it was complete in order to not disrupt their little lives any more than I have to.
Crabbie mom to Popcorn, Barbosa, Elizabeth Swan, Peanut butter/George Lopez/Bob the Builder (given three names by my 13 yr old I know not why), Will Turner, Pickle, Sideways and R.I.P. Bubbles, Junior, E, Spike, Callipso, Davy Jones and Capt'n Jack, Carlos and Speedy :(

Topic author
Sensi

Re: Molting issues

Post by Sensi » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:36 pm

The moss pit crab was definately molting. I just went to look and he has eaten his exo. I'm just not sure what to do with the three of them.
Crabbie mom to Popcorn, Barbosa, Elizabeth Swan, Peanut butter/George Lopez/Bob the Builder (given three names by my 13 yr old I know not why), Will Turner, Pickle, Sideways and R.I.P. Bubbles, Junior, E, Spike, Callipso, Davy Jones and Capt'n Jack, Carlos and Speedy :(

Zoeythelost

Post by Zoeythelost » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:46 pm

if the crabs are not molting underground i would definitely think something is wrong. how deep is your substrate? what about unmolting crabs?
4 PPs: Hermie, Struder 2 Es: Ebert, E-wee, Edee, Ego
3 Violas: Monster, Charcoal, Devil. 2 Blueberries: Purples, Blues
5 Ruggies: Bug, Tug, Lug, Mud, Kirby. 1 Indo: Solo
4 Fish, 2 dogs, Woodlice, and 1 human child.

Topic author
Sensi

Post by Sensi » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:56 pm

I'm almost positive that they are being dug up and not molting on the surface. Substrate is plenty deep enough for the largest to tunnel and be completely covered and then some. My big issue is whether I think the remaining molter is safe in my main tank. I doubt that it's a good idea to have three mid-molt crabs in my 5gal iso. :?

Zoeythelost

Post by Zoeythelost » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:03 pm

it really depends how many crabs left in the 10gal
4 PPs: Hermie, Struder 2 Es: Ebert, E-wee, Edee, Ego
3 Violas: Monster, Charcoal, Devil. 2 Blueberries: Purples, Blues
5 Ruggies: Bug, Tug, Lug, Mud, Kirby. 1 Indo: Solo
4 Fish, 2 dogs, Woodlice, and 1 human child.