Maybe molting?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
bilbobaggins

Maybe molting?

Post by bilbobaggins » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:35 pm

My two crabs have been drinking a lot of saltwater, like I said in a post a few days ago; but now one of them has buried himself. Is he molting or destressing?

mrscrabmadness

Re: Maybe molting?

Post by mrscrabmadness » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:45 pm

How long you had them?? If it hasn't been long they could be as I would say stocking up on what they haven't been given! Were they in the water or out of the water? Before they molt sometimes they soak in the water it helps them.. if you hadn't had them long it's hard to tell if they are going down to chill out or molt..my newbie I bought in Dec he went down and was gone for a good 2 months with the rest of them I thought he was molting, well he came up and it hasn't been up very long and he went buried again! it has been 2 weeks now.. I'm thinking he is officially molting now and before he was destressing, he came from a place where they had a scant of substrate and hard telling how long it had been since he molting and he is med / large, just let nature and him do there thing..don't worry :) crabs been doing it for yrs.. that is what I keep telling myself everytime one goes down!

Topic author
bilbobaggins

Post by bilbobaggins » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:02 pm

I have had them for about 3 or 4 weeks. They were in the water sometimes and others just on the sponge.

mrscrabmadness

Post by mrscrabmadness » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:15 am

they could be moting, they also could pull this I will be down a few days and come up a week and then go back down for a week and repeat this several times and then dissapear for months.. I wouldn't worry though..

system10

Post by system10 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:54 am

quick question on my update on Hermie and Skuttles the other day Hermie buried himself right beside Skuttles well he came back up well yesterday Skuttles finally came back up after being buried a week I thought maybe he was molting I watched him unbury himself. well then later that day he buried himself again and I was showing them off to a friend so I sought him out. well this morning he is buried again?????? Molting or just goofing off?..... Also while Skuttles was buried the first time before he came up Hermie made what looked like a four wheeler doughnut in the sand lol