I got pinched

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Crabigail

I got pinched

Post by Crabigail » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:53 am

I have never been pinched untill today by my biggest crab holy cow did it hurt she latched on and wouldn't let go! She's always been sort of an aggresive crab but beer pinched me I have a blood blister from her claw lol! I'm scared to ever take her out again And even worse I'm scared that I upset her. Should I take her out more often maybe so she warms up to me a bit better? She always digs in the day and up by night so I don't get to bomd with her to much.
6 PP's - Chopper,Peekee,Bash,Pinch,Trip,Sketch
5 Ruggies -
Emilio, Biggie smalls, tupac, Harley, Davidson

2 Straws -
Ginger , Strawberry

mrscrabmadness

Re: I got pinched

Post by mrscrabmadness » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:15 am

have had my crabs for 5 years, well 2 of them for 5 and the other 3 a couple and less than a year. I never have been pinched, I guess cause I don't let mine sit on my hamd and I don't handle or play with mine. I pick em' up by the back of the shell and move the shell lil' butts out of the way if I'm messing in the tank. I just get creeped out when they taked their long legs and wrap them back and scatch at you

ReptileLover1

Post by ReptileLover1 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:21 am

I wouldnt be scared of her- There may have been a few things that scared her enough to pinch you (Ex. Dogs, Feeling like she was going to fall, Not being used to the area she was at, etc.).
I have personally never been pinched by mine and i will handle them. I will not handle a new crab untill it has settled in for at least a week I usually wait till 2 weeks though. I also will only handle above my bed so if they fall it wont hurt and also so I can put my hand on bed to let them have some more roaming room. I have handled my smallest (small/medium) and my largest (large) along with all the middle ones (I have 5 hermies and have had them for about a year and a half)
I got my first crab in the summer of 2011. I now have 11 crabs!
I have 7 PPs and 4 Es! They are in a 40b.
I also have a pacman frog(Dewey), 2 Cats (Cinder, and Sherlock), And as a family we have 3 dogs ( Daisy, Coco, and Gizmo!)

kuza

Post by kuza » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:29 am

I don't let them walk free on my hand because I've had them latch on before, too scared :)

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:07 am

These hermies see us as big scary predators-it's not her fault! It's not that she's agressive, you might of scared her. I would actually recommend handling her less, and if she isn't enjoying herself right away, put her back. You can try to give her treats in your hand, and you can have a heater nearby to make her more comfortable.
From what I've read, they're not like dogs or lizards where more handling will make them warm up, I think the general recommendation is just giving them time. And lots of it, they need to adjust to their new home and new life, and of course their new roommate.
They're less of a play pet, and more of a watch pet. But you can handle them, just be very very slow and gentle, no loud noises or sudden movements, and stretch out your palm very flat (and remember the treats!) or if you're worried, hold her with a hand towel so she can't pinch you. Although she may latch onto the towel and not let go. :lol:
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

spotsy99

Post by spotsy99 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:15 pm

RockyGurly wrote: They're less of a play pet, and more of a watch pet.
I like the way you said that. I only take mine out when I measure the shells, do a deep clean or totally change out the substrate. Otherwise, I just move them out of the way to do the surface housecleaning.

The other day I took my jumbo guy out to measure him for some new shells. His legs went back and mashed my finger against his shell. That hurt enough. I can't imagine how a pinch would feel. I've ordered some jumbo shells from HCP. Hope he feels better in one of those.
Denise
******************************************************************************************
1 Husband - Gary, 1 Horse - Cash, 1 Cat - Midnight,
7 PPs

Topic author
Crabigail

Post by Crabigail » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:51 pm

I am feel so bad that she was that scared she felt he had to pinch! I'm more scared that she hates me I feel horrible. Ussually she is fine with me :(
5 Ruggies -

2 Straws -
Ginger , Strawberry

kuza

Post by kuza » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:53 pm

I think you've made up for it just giving them a loving home :)

Topic author
Crabigail

Post by Crabigail » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:29 pm

Awe thanks :)
5 Ruggies -

2 Straws -
Ginger , Strawberry