Crab "testing" new shell?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Periphique

Post by Periphique » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:26 am

One of my E's has grown a LOT (well, they all have) since I first got him in October. I never sized him when I got him but I'll have to size him now and see how big he actually is.

He's wayyy too big for his shell. If I walk by the tank and he tries to tuck himself back into his shell, his eyes barely make it back into the shell - and when he's walking around, he's pretty much all out of his shell.

I know E's are picky about shells and don't switch very often - but I feel like he needs to! He's been in the shell shop several times and actually changed into a nice jade turbo shell which appears to fit him much better. He's switched into it in the evening and then by morning he's back into his old one (not sure of the name, but it's the d-shaped brownish mushroomy-looking shell that has a little lip at the edge). He's done this 2x (with the same shell) and when I'm falling asleep I can hear him(or someone) rustling around in the shell shop.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I have about 15 different shells, all different sizes and shapes - do I need more? I don't have any of the type he's wearing - should I get some bigger ones like it?

FWIW - Temperature/humidity are 80/80(sometimes 60 if I go too long without spraying it), substrate is 6-7 inches - so I don't think he's stressed out...

Thanks!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

kuza

Re: Crab

Post by kuza » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:56 am

yes i had this issue with a shell with holes allover it. He just didn't want to switch and stay in a new shell so I took all my shells out, boiled them again, made sure that one my crab seemed to like was clean inside and smelled ok, then put them all back in. He then switched and after about 8 huors I took his old shell with the holes out. He's been fine every since in a nice new babalonia.

RedbirdFL

Post by RedbirdFL » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:45 pm

I've had 2 E's for a year that are still in their original (too small) shells. Tobias' shell is especially too small - just like what you're describing for your crab. I have all types of different shells in my tank, wash them periodically, have tried the olive oil trick, but nothing.

It's a good sign that yours is testing shells. Mine don't even do that. :(
3 E's - Blaise, Tobias, Parker
7 PP's - Casey, Fred, George, Luna, Neville, Dobby, Winky
2 cats - Smokey (British shorthair), Zoe (tortoiseshell calico)
1 great husband, 1 great son/DIL, 1 great daughter

Help a college girl and visit my daughter's etsy shop: http://www.rronk.etsy.com

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:09 pm

Es can be like that. The good news is that he's not stuck in the shell in any way since he did change, at least temporarily. Do you have any Mexican turbos the right size? My Es tend to like them because they are lighter. Here's what I mean: http://www.hermitcrabpatch.com/Natural- ... 1-r100.htm
Owner of 4 PPs

kuza

Post by kuza » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:36 pm

I second the mexican or "stripped" turbo for E's, my guy that needed a shell change took one. They also like this other shell in the same picture too.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:21 am

Lighter moon shells like shark eye and some whale eye shells are usually a hit. As are all species of babylonia (japonica, spirata, and areolata). Mine like Mexican (aka Striped) turbos, small tapestry turbos (most like reevii species), and starry nautica shells (hard to find!). My jumbo is currently in a thin tonna shell. In the wild they like black nerite and zebra littorinas, but these shells stay very small and unless they are pre-gutted by another crab they won't fit even the smallest E that you can buy. There are also a ton of native shells that they prefer that just can't be found for sale. Hairy tritons might be one that you can sometimes find and they come larger, if you have a smaller E. I personally do not recommend taking an old shell out of the tank until they've been wearing the new one for a few days. I've had too many Es ditch the new shell if it's uncomfortable and go streaking, and I want them to have something they want to move back into to if they do that.

Es naturally want the lightest shell they can possibly have since they survive by running away as fast as possible, and a bulky or heavy shell keeps them from being able to do that. Compare to that a PP who instead chooses to hunker down and wait out an enemy in a shell fortress, and you start to get a sense of why Es wear those horribly ragged shells!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Careyenz

Post by Careyenz » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:57 am

I bought all the Mexican turbos HCP offered hoping to get some of my E's into them. I spent quite a bit, and ended up with my two straws and one pp in them. Not a waste, but no interest from my E's. Mine seem to prefer Babylon shells, both of the brown types, but the japonica seems to be most used right now. Shells of Aquarius sells them for 8-12 cents each.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Careyenz, mom to Collin-7, Lily-4, 4 Straws, 5 Blues, 2 Violas, 2 E's, 2 PP's, and 3 cats.

kuza

Post by kuza » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:41 am

Ya I had to order more Babylon shells because mine seem to really like them too and I only have 1 in the right size right now and bangBANG is in it. I've never even seen one of my crabs try on a moon style shell for some reason. Maybe because I have so many turbos and other shells they like.

Topic author
Periphique

Post by Periphique » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:17 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies - hadn't checked them until now. I'll have to see what kind of shells I have in my tank - I was pretty much just getting all the D-shaped ones I could find, but I'll have to see. So far no one's changed shells. It's a bit difficult because I now have a large crab (used to have all smaller crabs) so his extra shells take up a lot of space. I do have a small shell shop though...will have to see how many I can fit in there.

Wodesorel, that makes a lot of sense about the lighter shells - I guess it's easier for them to carry around a too-small shell no matter how uncomfortable it looks...they're just barely covering their crabby bits!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk