The once a week fights...

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Oliver's Mom

Post by Oliver's Mom » Sat May 05, 2012 8:40 am

I have two crabs, a medium, Lucy and a small, Ethel. These two are always sleeping together, eating together and roaming around together. Odd thing is, at least once a week, Lucy, will grab poor Ethel's shell and flip her over and sit on her, or just grab a hold and won't let go. At this point, I have not seen Lucy shake Ethel, trying to get her shell. Ethel's shell is a little big for her but she can retreat all the way in and hide. I don't think Lucy wants the shell though because even though it's big on Ethel, it's too small for Lucy.

Anyway, this will go on, I will catch her and put her in the "timeout tank" as we call it for a couple hours, which she does NOT like. After she calms down, I will put back in the main tank with Ethel and they become best friends again. The cycle will then start all over in about a week or so.

Is this the way crabbies play or should I be more concerned about Lucy attacking little Ethel?
Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Our crabbies so far: Oliver (RIP), Stanley (RIP), Peanut (RIP), Wilbur (RIP), Louie (RIP), Lucy and Ethel.

10 successful molts!

Skymall007

Re: The once a week fights...

Post by Skymall007 » Sat May 05, 2012 11:57 pm

Do you hear any sounds with this happens? Sounds similar to two of my crabs. They do everything together and then a couple days ago Friendlyfeat attacked Sputnik. Sometimes hermits will try to take the shell of another hermit even though it is clearly too big or too small. I am not very experienced so I shall let a more experienced crab owner really answer the question, but I would keep on eye on them.
2Es- Sputnikt+Strangeship 1PP- Bluebug
RIP Spatula, HerbitHermenBatSquash, Kiwi, Flour, and Friendlyfeat, Mi6, Grape, Umo, and Upsidedown

Topic author
Oliver's Mom

Post by Oliver's Mom » Sun May 06, 2012 9:09 am

No sounds at all. I'm curious though how often this happens when I'm not at home or when I'm sleeping. I just happen to catch them about once a week it seems.
Our crabbies so far: Oliver (RIP), Stanley (RIP), Peanut (RIP), Wilbur (RIP), Louie (RIP), Lucy and Ethel.

10 successful molts!

CrabbyIrene

Post by CrabbyIrene » Sun May 06, 2012 9:32 am

Are you sure Lucy and Ethel are both girls? If no one is chirping or rocking the other around another possibility could be love!!!! :bigkiss:
7 PP's, 5 crazy E's!
Crabby since 2007

Topic author
Oliver's Mom

Post by Oliver's Mom » Sun May 06, 2012 12:03 pm

LOL, unfortunately when I bring them home, I make up their gender. :oops: I've never seen them far enough out of their shell to be able to tell which they are.

10 successful molts!

CrabbyIrene

Post by CrabbyIrene » Sun May 06, 2012 1:08 pm

I do the same, I name them and hope for the best ! I have 12 crabs and about half I have no idea if male or female, the other half I happened to watching at a good time and got a good look.
Here's a link from a video wolfnipplechips posted of her "newlyweds"
Does it look anything like this?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ocT8po6g8jY
7 PP's, 5 crazy E's!
Crabby since 2007

Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:25 pm

No chirping would mean no anger. Usually she'll fights involve chirping. I also wonder what this is.
2Es- Sputnikt+Strangeship 1PP- Bluebug
RIP Spatula, HerbitHermenBatSquash, Kiwi, Flour, and Friendlyfeat, Mi6, Grape, Umo, and Upsidedown

HaydenHermie

Post by HaydenHermie » Sun May 06, 2012 3:13 pm

From what I've researched, if there's no signs of aggression, and there aren't any injuries involved... this could mean that they're REALLY liking each other, to tastefully put it. =)

Yay for hermit crab sexy time? =D XD

Topic author
Oliver's Mom

Post by Oliver's Mom » Sun May 06, 2012 3:18 pm

CrabbyIrene wrote:I do the same, I name them and hope for the best ! I have 12 crabs and about half I have no idea if male or female, the other half I happened to watching at a good time and got a good look.
Here's a link from a video wolfnipplechips posted of her "newlyweds"
Does it look anything like this?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ocT8po6g8jY
It kind of does, except Ethel stays tucked into her shell and Lucy doesn't come out that far. As for the chirping, I thought of that and was relieved that they weren't making any noise b/c that's bad. I'm hoping Lucy is just being friendly and wants to play or whatever they do, lol, but I get worried that it will turn into an attack and I pull Lucy off.

10 successful molts!