where did all my crabs go?

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
parrothead

Post by parrothead » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:41 pm

I upgraded to a 75g 2 months ago, I have 21 crabs in there and typically there are only 3-4 crabs on the surface during the day :? :?: The conditions are more than favorable, i.e. 8" substrate, 80/80 temp/humidity, LED's, live plants, and built in pools. It couldn't be better (in my oppinion) but people don't believe me when they look in and say how many? only to hear me say '21 believe it or not". I have included a picture for reference... What's the deal :| (P.S. no lectures on 'overpopulation' please, half are mico/small)

herder79

Re: where did all my crabs go?

Post by herder79 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:50 pm

Your crabitat is GORGEOUS!!!

My guess is they're underground? Mine spend a lot of time underground, even when not molting. They must love all that digging space!!!
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." -- Howard Thurman

Topic author
parrothead

Post by parrothead » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:59 pm

THANKS! Yeah, I know they are underground. I should have been more specific :lol: I just wonder why they spend so much time down there? They are nocturnal I know, but it seems like I'd see more than 3-4 out during the day... About 8 chill in the cork round, 3 or so in the moss pit, and a couple on the vines/climbers, but the rest stay buried. It's sad actually, I miss them :oops: :cry:

herder79

Post by herder79 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:44 pm

I bet! Maybe the new digs sparked some kind of molting party?
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." -- Howard Thurman

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Your tank looks great! You may want to try adding some plants near the front. Yes, that will block your view some, but it will also make the crabs feel more secure and more likely to come out.
Owner of 4 PPs

kuza

Post by kuza » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:54 pm

I would put a shower caddy moss pit I. The front top right corner with a cholla up to it. Mine all congregate to my front right Pitt.

Topic author
parrothead

Post by parrothead » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:23 pm

CrabbyMom33 wrote:Your tank looks great! You may want to try adding some plants near the front. Yes, that will block your view some, but it will also make the crabs feel more secure and more likely to come out.
That's a great idea :D I haven't added front plants because of the whole 'view' thing, but if it'll encourage some movement, then I'm down!
kuza wrote:I would put a shower caddy moss pit I. The front top right corner with a cholla up to it. Mine all congregate to my front right Pitt.
I've actually been thinking about doing that, but I added a new plant there and it's HUGE! I guess I could move it and add another moss pit. I have one over the pools because the humidity from the bubbler helps keep the moss wet :) But with the whole 'adding plants' idea, maybe I'll just do some rearranging and add the pit.

Thanks for the input ya'll. I'm worried the LED's are playing a role in the digging. I have had them for ever and they are great for the plants and the live fish I have in the pool, but I'm concerned that they are too bright during they day for the crabs.

Happy Crabber

Post by Happy Crabber » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:53 pm

I love your tank. I would move in there in a second. :)

I don't really have any ideas for you. Maybe it just takes them a while to get used to the new tank. How long has it been up now? I think the plants in the front idea is good. I think you are doing a great job, could just be hermits being hermits.

Good luck!
AKA: hermitmommy
PP: Scieny, Hermione, Hermasaurus Rex, Kitty, Cat, Twyla, Jupiter
E: Lilly McDiggington, Thunder, Lightening, Pocito Tito, Universe, Dawn
Mom to 2 great little kids, and wife to a very understanding hubby

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:39 am

The problem may be that they're all small and micro! :lol: Smalls molt for nearly four weeks and are up for maybe 3 days before going right back down again. Micros I've got less experience with but seeing as how I have like four or five in my tank and I haven't seen them more than once since I put them in there. :lol: Firefly was a micro and is now a small (it'll be three years in November, so they can grow extremely slow) and I do happy dances if I see him once a month, still. The first year I saw him a whole five times!

You might want to try varying the temp a bit day to night to see if that will trigger them to come out of hiding in the evening. They use temperature clues as well and light cues to know when it's safe to start moving around in the open. Mine come down from the trees in the late evening and are usually super active all night, but there are always crabs out and moving all day long.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
parrothead

Post by parrothead » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:42 am

Thanks wode. I have a few that are always out during the day and the rest are playing hide and seek. The temp fluctuates a tad at night because I drop the house temp a few degrees so with the tank lights off and the house a few degrees lower, they get down to 76 or so at night with the UTH going. Typically 82 during the day. I tell ya what though, my Straws have yet to dig... They are both on the surface all the time, day and night, and I have only seen one of them climb. I'm not complaining because they are always visible, but... weird-

mrsharrison

Post by mrsharrison » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:40 am

I've been worried about my crabs doing the same thing, so I'm glad to see others are having the same issue. I have 11 Aussies, six of them are quite active and busy every day and the other 5 i never see. Every 6-8 weeks I do a deep clean and carefully remove everybody and the ones that stay buried haven't been moulting down there, a couple have recently moulted and got really playful for a while but have now disappeared for the last few weeks. I worry about them when they stay down for any reason other than moulting and I wish I could see that they're safe
Blog: http://talesfromthetank.tumblr.com
Photos: http://s1161.photobucket.com/albums/q50 ... t%20Crabs/

10 Aussies - Sharna, Rosie, Reggie, George, Ringo, Flop, Paul, Chip, Penny and Oscar.

Draven451

Post by Draven451 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:36 pm

I think figured out where your crabs went!

Once they saw how beautiful the new tank was they all died and went straight to crabbie heaven :)

Topic author
parrothead

Post by parrothead » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:02 am

awww thanks :D :D :D :D I worked so hard on it and am still adding more! :crabbigsmile:

JamesR

Post by JamesR » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:52 pm

Where can I see more pictures of your tank?
10 C. brevimanus

Topic author
parrothead

Post by parrothead » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:51 pm

JamesR wrote:Where can I see more pictures of your tank?
Thanks for asking :) I just finished it last month, here is a link to my post: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=87573