Crabs not very active

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
Trenac

Crabs not very active

Post by Trenac » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:45 pm

I got my first 2 crabs on July 27th, another the following week & the last crab a week ago. The most active one is the largest crab I have, which was purchased the 1st weekend of Aug.. I beleive he is considered a medium. I see him up about during the day & night. The first 2 I got lay in the same spot all the time. I rarely see them move around, not even in the middle of the night. I look to see where they are before I go to bed & then again when I first awake in the morning. I swear they have not moved at all, they are in the same spot. I picked them up to make sure they are fine, they appear to be. They come out of there shell & try to get away. The last crab I got whom is the smallest, ran behind the crab hut & have been there since. I did pull him out a few days ago & put him on a dish of peanut butter & honey. He did eat, but returned to the same spot. None of the guys I have has molted yet, but have changed their shells...So I'm wondering should I be worried or is this normal behavior?
THE GREATNESS OF A NATION & IT'S MORAL PROGRESS CAN BE JUDGED BY THE WAY ITS ANIMALS ARE TREATED!

crabby824

Re: Crabs not very active

Post by crabby824 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:48 pm

you should try smoothing the sand before bed instead, my crabs always prefer a specific spot in the tank, if not for them eating and tracking in the substrate I would never know they moved!

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:02 pm

How deep is your substrate? Would they be able to dig down and molt safely if they needed to?
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

StephBaby

Post by StephBaby » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:07 pm

They could be getting ready to molt. But i would do what crabby824 said and smooth the sand before bed. I wouldnt be worried as long as you dont smell any fishy odor.
Owner of 3 pp's Herman, Mya 2 and Midori.
NINE SUCCESSFUL MOLTS!!!!!
Crabbing since June 2011

Crys_Crab

Post by Crys_Crab » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:55 pm

The one crab that is not molting right now in my tank does the same thing. Stays in the same spot all the time.
I check occassionally and he's fine, but I swear he does not move
4 PPs in a 29gallon - Since Aug 2012
Crabcakes
Shyguy
Sheldon
Potter

Topic author
Trenac

Post by Trenac » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:37 pm

So it looks like much to worry about, unless I smell fish. I check them everyday, to make sure they are ok. Not by handling, but looking.

The food is being eaten & holes are being dug at night. So hopefully they all are doing that & just not the one.

My substrate is 4-6" deep. I have it sloped up in the back & sides. So enough to cover my crabs completly if they decide to molt.
THE GREATNESS OF A NATION & IT'S MORAL PROGRESS CAN BE JUDGED BY THE WAY ITS ANIMALS ARE TREATED!

Topic author
Trenac

Post by Trenac » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:17 pm

Well, my new guy ended up dieing :cry: I got him/her at a reptile show (Sept 2nd), where they were being kept in shallow water with many others. No telling the conditions they where in before the show. I guess it was stress.

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Oh no! I'm so sorry :( it sounds like PPS. Maybe you could fill out the help template just in case though?
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.