Aggression Poll 4 those w/BOTH PP's & E's 4 @least 1 Year

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

4 those w/BOTH PP's & E's 4 @least 1 YR: What aggression have u seen in ur PP's & E's?

1) My PP's and E's are housed together, and I have not observed any significant aggression in either my PP's or my E's.
48%
2) My PP's and E's are housed together, and I have seen more aggression from the PP's than from the E's.
8%
3) My PP's and E's are housed together, and I have seen more aggression from the E's than from the PP's.
28%
4) My PP's and E's are housed together, and I have seen an equal amount of aggression from both species.
4%
5) My PP's and E's are kept in separate tanks, and I have not seen any significant amount of aggression from either species.
8%
6) My PP's and E's are kept in separate tanks, and I have seen more aggression from the PP's than from the E's.
No votes
7) My PP's and E's are kept in separate tanks, and I have seen more aggression from the E's than from the PP's.
4%
8 ) My PP's and E's are kept in separate tanks, and I have seen an equal amount of aggression from my PP's and my E's.
No votes

Total votes: 25

Topic author
DragonsFly

Aggression Poll 4 those w/BOTH PP's & E's 4 @least 1 Year

Post by DragonsFly » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:30 pm

FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE BOTH PP's AND E's, and have had both for OVER ONE YEAR, please! If you do not have BOTH species, or have not had both of them for at least one full year (for example, you've had PP's for over a year, but only had E's for six months), hang on, we will want your feedback later, but not on this first go-round! :)

Some of us would like to begin studying some crab behaviors a bit more systematically. The first thing to do is to see if we can get a general idea about observations from folks. This poll is a first-trial run for collecting some info from you. THANKS for participating!

For the purposes of this question, we are only interested in finding out about instances of aggression that you or somebody else in your household (family member or friend observing your crabs) have personally observed--so for now, don't include things that you think MIGHT be evidence of aggression but you're not sure; for example, you found a naked crab and saw another crab wearing the shell the naked one had previously been wearing, and figure that was probably a shell fight, but you didn't see it happen; or, you saw a crab come up with a leg from a molter, then discovered the molter was dead, but you don't know for sure whether it was dead or not before the other crab found it and took its leg. We'll ask about those kinds of "inferred aggression" later.

Aggression, for this poll, would be anything you (or somebody watching your crabs) personally observed, including:

Shell fight: one crab grabbed another by its shell and shook it, trying to take the shell.
Molting attack: one crab (or more) attacked a molter and injured or killed it (and somebody discovered this as it was happening).
Resource guarding: one crab monopolizing a resource (food, a moss pit, a shell shop, water source) and threatening other crabs away from it when they get close.
"Boxing" or "push fights" (we realize these behaviors may or may not actually be aggression, but for now we'll include them).
Charging or outright attack (one crab running at another crab and either resulting in the other crab fleeing, or in the first one actually grabbing and injuring or attempting to injure the second crab).

Again, for right now we only want answers from people who have had BOTH PP's and E's for at least one full year (again, those of you who are newer to either species will get your chance to contribute later!). Think carefully about your answer and choose the one that best describes your situation.
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

kuza

Re: Aggression Poll 4 those w/BOTH PP's & E's 4 @least 1 Yea

Post by kuza » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:25 pm

We need to post in this or it quickly falls to the bottom.

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:42 pm

Thanks, kuza! I'm happy to see there are already some responses. We'll keep bumping every now and then for a week or so (and maybe some people will add some notes/feedback), and we'll see what the results look like, then move on to some more detailed stuff. Thanks again!

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:36 pm

Hello, people who have had both PP's and E's for over a year--please read the first post in this thread (please scroll down and read the first post AFTER the poll before answering!) and answer a one-question survey! Thanks!

― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:07 pm

DragonsFly wrote:Hello, people who have had both PP's and E's for over a year--please read the first post in this thread (please scroll down and read the first post AFTER the poll before answering!) and answer a one-question survey! Thanks!
(bump)

― G.K. Chesterton

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:21 am

Here, I'll sticky it for the next week - no need to keep bumping!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:03 pm

I think this is really cool what you are doing, and believe that it could be very beneficial. Are we going to get to see the results, because I would be very interested in knowing what you find. :)
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:19 am

Will there be another one done or can I revise my response? Some things have changed since I voted and I've also done a lot of thinking on my crab keeping over the years and realized my selection is not correct.

kuza

Post by kuza » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:33 am

what would you like to change your response to/from?

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:53 am

kuza wrote:what would you like to change your response to/from?
From "My PPs and Es are housed together and I have not observed any significant aggression in either my PPs or Es" to "My PPs and Es are (were) housed together and I have seen more aggression from my PPs than from my Es".

I'm not sure why I picked the first....maybe I wad focusing on the Es or recent occurrences...idk. But I have witnessed a couple shell fights, shoving, and dish guarding, all from the PPs. Niphredil used to steal shells and generally pick on Athelas. I'd forgotten about that but was reminded when redoing my crabby journal the other day. I've seen Mallorn, when I had the 120g, flick other crabs out of the food dish (though he always let Athelas eat with him). Shoving with BP has been seen, usually when one crab is trying to get over/by another and that crab gets annoyed and shoves at them for a while until the crab skirts around. Never full on aggression though and no molt attacks that I can prove.

They're seperated now and maybe with more time this way I'll pick up on more. It is entirely possible the reason I'm seeing more from the PPs is simply because I've always had more of them.

I had actually forgotten all about this poll until someone made a new post. Thank you. :)