Am I crazy?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Am I crazy?

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:01 pm

With Es, please keep in mind a few things - IMO..they do not handle overcrowding well.
For Es - I recommend the following: at least 10 gallons PER E
At least 10" - 12" of substrate
At least 2 proteins daily, and lots of calcium choices.
By following these protocols, I have kept Es without issues.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:02 pm

If you have one E, it would need a second, because you should always have a species buddy if possible.
Do you know how many gallons your tank equals out to?
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:19 pm

GotButterflies wrote:With Es, please keep in mind a few things - IMO..they do not handle overcrowding well.
For Es - I recommend the following: at least 10 gallons PER E
At least 10" - 12" of substrate
At least 2 proteins daily, and lots of calcium choices.
By following these protocols, I have kept Es without issues.
Thank you- that is the most straightforward breakdown of needs I’ve seen so far, and honestly one of the most helpful! I did expect to get 2 (at least) when the time came due to the recommendations on here, and the deeper substrate level is definitely doable, granted we do have enough space for the sweet fellas. Or ladies. Image

I don’t remember my geometry enough to get a gallon size for the odd shape- but I posted the full dimensions up top if anyone else does....? Hehe, sorry....

If we do decide to take on Es, it may be in a separate tank, it truly depends on these next few weeks; Dumbo may be rehomed to live with Calypso, but we are waiting for a successful molt to make full plans, along with the other 3 too, really. If we have the space after all that, then we will see. If not, it may be time to begin work on a second tank especially for them. But now I know what to be extra sure to watch for in the tat if we think we are able. Things are a bit fluid at the moment, that’s the best way I know how to put it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:27 pm

Ha! Me either - I always refer to aquarium calculators - but I've never seen one for odd sizes.

You probably would be better off putting your Es in a separate tank. :) I keep mine in a 100 gallon with a 50 gallon topper. I do house mine with PPs. Females are less aggressive than the males - but all of mine have reached sexual maturity and breed.

Oh...one can never have too many tanks or hermies...crabbing is an addiction!!! :)

Topic author
Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:57 pm

Oh wow! That is a lot of space to roam and play- I’ll definitely need to keep that in mind.
They seem like so much fun- not that the PPs aren’t, too! (they totally are or I wouldn’t have gotten even more of course!) Simply that the Es are so energetic in everything they do- they’re almost like... over the top a little? Like when they do a thing they REALLY do a thing! And that they tend toward a little more day playing. Always a fun plus! I dunno, I’m fully hooked, and I am so intrigued by all the intricacies of the various breeds. Someday I hope to have more of the various breeds- once the kids move out I gotta have plans for that empty room right? it’s only about 8 years away- it’ll be on me before I know it!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:45 am

Its around 40g (39.8g using your exact measurements) ImageImage

I love this aquarium calculator site, as it has a tonne of options for oddly shaped aquariums!

http://reef.diesyst.com/volcalc/volcalc.html

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:15 am

Here is the careguide for E's. We have been trying to find an E for almost a year with no luck. Our Eddie has been our only E for almost a year now. I managed to adopt another strawberry but no E's to be found anywhere!

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... 20&t=92454

Here is also a guide for crabs vs tank space.
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 26&t=92541

Anyway back to the tank. Laying it on it's side would be awesome. I like having the lid angled it would also make a great view peeing inside the tank too. The biggest con I can really thing of is with the sides angled you will be cutting down on a lot of vertical space inside the tank. I generally attach moss pits, wheels, and nets from the back to the front of the tank. I believe you would loose a lot of that ability for that option. I know you will have your work cut out reinforcing the tank and adding the side and hinged lid. I think with all the time invested in modifying you would probably save yourself and your husband a lot of time and frustration finding something better. I would hate to see you bump weeks into a project and have the bottom give out because it was intended to be a will instead.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:57 am

Thanks so much for all the info, advice, and tips!

So get this; I’m negotiating for a 75gal bowfront nkw! Eeeek!!!! I won’t say exactly how much but it’s under $200. So yes, I’m definitely trying to get that! I haven’t had a chance to convince the hubbs that it is a good investment yet!
He won’t really stop me stop me, he just wouldn’t be happy with me for a while. See, we’ve been together nearly 20 years now, cause we met when I was still in HS. So, I know pretty much how he’s going to react to a thing almost before he does!

Ok so, those of you with large tanks- how much easier would you say it is caring for a large vs a small? Obviously our crabbies are better off with some extra room, but what do you feel as the caretakers? Tyia

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:27 am

I love the bow fronts, they’re so pretty. Someone on here has one too, I can’t remember who. My tank isn’t really large but I was nervous when I switched from my small tank to my 29. I think it was easier to have a bigger tank and I’m not quite as nervous to be switching to my 55 this spring. I think others on here said that their bigger tanks were easier to care for also. It really can’t be too much of a difference, just bigger areas to spot clean. Go for it if you can, you’ll be happy.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

Topic author
Overmountain1

Am I crazy?

Post by Overmountain1 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:52 am

Thanks! I’m really excited- however, I haven’t had the chance to bring it up to my hubby. I’m waiting for the right time; he works nights this week, and I don’t want to bring it up when he’s already more likely to say no not right now lol. And, the only reason I found this one is bc it’s nearly 2 hours away. Image
She’s a beauty though!! I will have to get a lid for it but that’s ok.

I guess what I want to know is this;

When you swapped to a larger tank, what were some of the biggest challenges in setting it up?

Has anyone taken two smaller tanks and put every’body’ together in the larger, and how did your crabs do with that?

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:00 pm

When we set up out 75 G it was intended for Strawberries and 3 of our large Purples. I didn't think there was anything tougher to do with setting up a larger tank. If anything I believe they are easier to set up just because you have a lot more real estate to add water pools, food dishes, wheels, and whatever else. Your biggest thing will be buying another heater for the rear and possibly the side along with the hood. You will also need about 7-8 bags of playsand for the substrate.

The biggest challenge is mixing all the substrate.

We moved the 3 purples we had from a makeshift 10 G tank for 3 months. After the tank was set up and everything was good with the tank we added our strawberries. There were no issues between the purples and straws. They don't seem to have issues at all. On that note. I did have a shell fight with a rescue straw I introduced last month. I believe I caused the incident when I dipped the new guy in saltwater instead of fresh. After redipping the new guy and adding more shells the attacker switched and no other issues have happened.

When we did our big rescue trip in January we received 11 crabs of various sizes from 3 different families and put them in all in a 55 G. We haven't had any issues with them. Most are starting to resurface after their first molts with us now.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Overmountain1

Am I crazy?

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:56 pm

Hooray!!! It’s official, I get to pick up that beauty this week. Can’t wait! So I’ll be selling the other one- I could possibly use it too eventually, but there has to be someone else who can enjoy it even earlier than that. Anyway-

Wow! I’m going to have a 75 gallon! That’s ginormous in comparison to my current setups. I’m so excited for the crabs! I know it’ll take s couple of weeks minimum to gather everything I need and get it in, as well as allowing the substrate to settle in.

Thank you motorcrab! Istill good to hear that they should all acclimate pretty easily. 4/6 were already tank mates, so I don’t anticipate too many problems. (Fingers crosses anyway!) They’ll probably all go down to molt this week and I’ll end up with a new empty tank and pet sand in the other two! Lol

Ok, thank you EVERYBODY for all of your input. In the end, the title of the thread was pretty accurate- I am a little crazy! Ha. And, further, even tho I’m not using the first one, I learned a lot from your experiences, and your opinions as well. So- a big crabbing thank you!!

Dave the Wondercrab~ Patpat the Scaredy Cat~*Prince~ MaggieMoo- Dumbo~ Billy

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:11 pm

Nice! I can’t wait to see it all set up.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«