Sliding Glass lid?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Sliding Glass lid?

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:17 pm

Hello fellow crabbers!!!😋 I was just wondering what all of your opinions are on sliding glass lids on crabitats? Currently I have an aquarium topper that is meant for Rats/Hampsters covered in plastic wrap. I'm king of a neat freak and not only does it look bad but.....it's really cumbersome and it's hard to work around.😂 I plan on adding a climbing net and some logs for my boys to climb on instead of the topper, just so they don't get cheated out of climbing space. (And also the humidity in the top level is probably NOT above 80 so that worries me as well when they go up there)
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Topic author
scuttlecrusty22

Re: Sliding Glass lid?

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:18 pm

*kind of
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Wed May 01, 2019 10:12 pm

I think as long as the top isn't completely covered, and allows air circulation, glass tops should be fine. It would definetely look better than plastic wrap, and helps control temperature and humidity.

Personally, I'm thinking of a glass lid, but just a matter of sliding vs hinged. If you're planning a DIY, this is a good link with
step by step photos. If you want a hinged glass lid, here's another good link.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu May 02, 2019 6:27 am

A glass top will be good. Air circulation isn’t that important with hermit crabs, as they will get new air whenever you open the lid for maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk