“Artificial Bottom” Clarification

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
KrankyKrab

“Artificial Bottom” Clarification

Post by KrankyKrab » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:26 pm

I randomly saw someone mention this.... now I feel it’s best to add one as I start my upgrade to minimize chances of bloom ...

This is egg crate it looks like? Do you just put drainage rocks in the crate before your sub?

I can’t imagine having to undo a 65g as I’m slowly researching how to construct it - so any preventive measures should be taken seriously as far as I’m concerned.

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scarletfire

Re: “Artificial Bottom” Clarification

Post by Scarletfire » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:45 pm

An artificial bottom, in theory, could prevent a flood from creating a bacterial bloom. The problem is that if there is a flood, you will need to do a tank teardown anyways; the bottom allows you to catch the issue faster.

Second problem: the system break down causes a lot more problems than not, which makes it hard to fix. When it doesn't work, you'll need to do a tank teardown anyways.

Third problem: crabs have known to get stuck in the false bottoms, and passing away.

I've heard of people drilling a hole at the bottom of the tank, but that hasn't been discussed in a long time. Someone else with more experience can talk about it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:22 pm

While a false bottom does reduce the likelyhood of bacterial bloom due to anaerobic conditions, it does not completely minimize the risk. Substrate can retain a lot of water before becoming completely saturated, and from that, anaerobic regions can form.

They a good thing to have, but can be a little time consuming to set it up correctly - as mentioned above, crabs have been known to tear through them. And the substrate can also fall through if you dont have a fine enough mesh - but not too fine that it traps water.

If you want one for peace of mind, then I would reccomend getting a false bottom. But if for whatever reason you dont really want one, theres no harm in not setting one up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
KrankyKrab

Post by KrankyKrab » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:11 pm

Scarletfire wrote: Third problem: crabs have known to get stuck in the false bottoms, and passing away.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
GASP!!!!

Ok thanks guys, I’ll definitely research more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk