Need help designing above ground pools

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Re: Need help designing above ground pools

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:37 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:37 pm
I did buy eggcrate for the back wall. I was going to get more for at least one side wall too. And, yes, platic containers. How do you cut the eggcrate? I bought a plastic cutter that was on the shelf below. Figured that's what it was for. Nope. Doesn't do a thing. Just makes scratches. I like your idea to support the pool. Thanks.
I have a different idea and a question. I decided not to use the pipes. But if I zip tie the platform on 3 sides, would it hold the plastic container pool, which will be doubled? Bottom one zip tied to platform. And second question. I plan on holding the egg crate to the sides with about 10-11 inches of substrate. Does using zip ties create a space between egg crate and tank that the crabs can possibly get behind and get stuck?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:58 pm

I just made these platforms last night for two tanks. I believe the confined spaces will depend on how tight you make the platforms to other things. I don't think zip ties will be much of a factor. You can create minimal obstruction depending on what way you face the zip ties.

My little 2nd level in the 29 is about 11 x 6. That one is pretty stable. The one I made for the 75 is about 28 x 7. This one bows about 1-1/4 inches in the middle. Having a dozen turbos with 1-1/4 openings and all their food is a good bit of weight. I think if I add a 3 square lip across the back it will stiffen it up a lot more.ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:09 am

Motörcrab wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:58 pm
I just made these platforms last night for two tanks. I believe the confined spaces will depend on how tight you make the platforms to other things. I don't think zip ties will be much of a factor. You can create minimal obstruction depending on what way you face the zip ties.

My little 2nd level in the 29 is about 11 x 6. That one is pretty stable. The one I made for the 75 is about 28 x 7. This one bows about 1-1/4 inches in the middle. Having a dozen turbos with 1-1/4 openings and all their food is a good bit of weight. I think if I add a 3 square lip across the back it will stiffen it up a lot more.ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Love your set up!
Crabbing with my son now! My my, how things have changed!