Help Redesign 40G Crabitat

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Julsie

Help Redesign 40G Crabitat

Post by Julsie » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:11 am

I’m a noob and just started crabbing in October. I upgraded from a 20 gal to a 40 gal about a month ago. (I already know about the substrate/play sand mix i’m aware I don’t have enough right now and it’s my next purchase don’t worry). I began creating climbing stands and other household items to craft things together but i’m not all that happy with the way things look. I plan on taking some stuff out and adding some new things in if you guys are open to giving me some ideas. I’m a little embarrassed of my crabitat and i’ve seen all the d.i.y projects in here and it puts me down a little lol. I’m not all that creative and if you guys could give me tips on what to buy/where to buy and what sizes are good for my 40g that would be great! ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Julsie on Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hermiesguardian

Re: Help Redesign 40G Crabitat

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:30 am

Actually it looks great! Only a couple of things I would suggest. The pools need to be deep enough for them to fully submerge with a safe way in and out. And a digital therm/hygro is much more accurate. Just curious, you have the food dish tied down? Do you cut the zip ties when you feed them?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:42 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:Actually it looks great! Only a couple of things I would suggest. The pools need to be deep enough for them to fully submerge with a safe way in and out. And a digital therm/hygro is much more accurate. Just curious, you have the food dish tied down? Do you cut the zip ties when you feed them?
I was thinking of that when I saw other peoples water bowls. I currently have 4. 2 smaller (fresh&salt) for the smaller crabs and 2 larger ones (fresh&salt) for the larger crabs. They all end up going in all of the 4 bowls though. What do you suggest for water bowls and deep enough that they are basically swimming in it? And yes I already plan on getting a couple of digital ones to hang around the crabitat:) && yes the plastic white food dish is ziptied down to the climbing stand because I didn’t want it on the ground to get dirty and lose food && also they’re ziptied down because they are lightweight and I didn’t want my crabs tipping them over and dumping all the food out. Yes the long ends of the zipties I cut them all down because I didn’t want them in the way of the crabs.

Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:14 am

It looks good, theres a lot of stuff in there! Egg crate is awsome! For bowls Tupperware dishes. I have zip ties craft mesh to mine.
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
3 dogs: Maltipoo Tosh Pomeranian/Spitz Kaylee: Rotwieler/hound Bear
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:33 am

I think it looks fab, the only thing i would add for visual interest is some greenery. Some vines to fill that empty space above all the climbing areas would look nice, and offer them some climbing space.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:19 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:I think it looks fab, the only thing i would add for visual interest is some greenery. Some vines to fill that empty space above all the climbing areas would look nice, and offer them some climbing space.

What kind of greenery? The plastic ones in the reptile/aquatic section?

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:19 pm

Moe2076 wrote:It looks good, theres a lot of stuff in there! Egg crate is awsome! For bowls Tupperware dishes. I have zip ties craft mesh to mine.
Thanks !!

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:09 am

Looks great!

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:55 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:Looks great!
Thx <3

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:57 pm

Julsie wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:19 pm
What kind of greenery? The plastic ones in the reptile/aquatic section?

Yes. You can even get it at the dollar store. Just boil it for 5 minutes first.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:26 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote: Yes. You can even get it at the dollar store. Just boil it for 5 minutes first.
Yep. Basically what I was going to suggest. :) i wouldn't reccomend boiling plastics, a simple soak in warm water (nit enough to melt the plastic) or a warm water/vinegar mix and your good to go.

Just stay away from plants thats got glitter, plants that's been painted or has additives to look pretty (like fake water droplets). Both silk and plastic can be used.

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Hermiehomes4Gretchen

Post by Hermiehomes4Gretchen » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:12 am

Do you have a way of heating the tank? Also how deep is your sub?

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:52 pm

Hermiehomes4Gretchen wrote:Do you have a way of heating the tank? Also how deep is your sub?

A heater im buying another one but my temp is 80 and im not sure how deep but all my crabs can burrow and im buying more substrate

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:28 pm

Looks awesome! I'm sure your crabbies have lots of fun!
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
Julsie

Post by Julsie » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:30 am

So I redid the crabitat and added more substrate and build bubbler pools ImageImageImageImage