Dollar tree crabitat supplies

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Arkos

Dollar tree crabitat supplies

Post by Arkos » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:21 pm

So my craft mesh finally came in and I just got some supplies for the crabitat at the dollar tree, they've got some good stuff(I think). Got 4 Tupperware to make the stacked water pools for ease of cleaning, as well as a 3 pack of little square bins to make hides out of, and a little plastic tote thing I'm going to rig into a second level so they can do some climbing till I get wood and a real second level made up, as well as some jute twine. I've put some pictures of the items, pretty sure the plastic stuff isn't an issue but what about the jute Twine? ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Crab dad to 5 PP's

Wlfwo

Re: Dollar tree crabitat supplies

Post by Wlfwo » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:29 pm

The jute may be a problem. Pretty sure it needs to be natural jute. Most jute is treated with some sort of oil. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

I can hear my 75g whispering from the barn.

Topic author
Arkos

Post by Arkos » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:28 pm

That's kind of what I was thinking with the coating on the jute. I'll just not use it to be on the safe side probably

Crab dad to 5 PP's

Topic author
Arkos

Post by Arkos » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:03 pm

So I've got the climbing box almost all rigged with craft mesh, just need to run for some more zip ties. I will be ordering some crab safe jute cord to add more grip as well. Think my crabs will be able to use it and have fun on it? And I've got 2 water dishes rigged up with ramps, which also need the zip ties. Any suggestions before i set them in the crabitat? ImageImageImage

Crab dad to 5 PP's

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:22 pm

I like that home made hide with the craft mesh! I used a similar dollar store container, and glued shells to the sides for them to climb. But the shells are slowly coming off. I think I will re-do it with craft mesh!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Arkos

Post by Arkos » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:39 pm

Thanks, I'm happy with it :D I was wondering if I boiled some of this aquarium gravel I have if I could put it at the bottom of the base water bowl so the actual bowl full of water doesn't get stuck and make me have to pull the whole thing out of the footprint

Crab dad to 5 PP's

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:25 pm

Wlfwo wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:29 pm
The jute may be a problem. Pretty sure it needs to be natural jute. Most jute is treated with some sort of oil. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Technically all jute is "natural" since it is derived from plants. The term natural is not regulated in the US like in other countries, at least with foods. I'm assuming an inexpensive twine would not be regulated either. We offer jute bridges in our shop. I have spent hours researching different jutes. Reading reviews just about all of them complain about the petroleum smell, even ones that claim to be free of chemicals. None that we have found specifically state they are chemical free or organic. At Wal Mart jute in the tool section smells really bad compared to the stuff in the crafting section. That doesn't smell nearly as bad. One roll can smell worse than another too.

We actually have a disclaimer in the description of our ladders about the jute. You can purchase organic coconut fiber and organic hemp that is free of chemicals. The organic twines are double or triple the price of jute. I would love to phase out the jute all together, but the organics do not sell due the price difference!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Arkos

Post by Arkos » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:07 pm

Motörcrab wrote: Technically all jute is "natural" since it is derived from plants. The term natural is not regulated in the US like in other countries, at least with foods. I'm assuming an inexpensive twine would not be regulated either. We offer jute bridges in our shop. I have spent hours researching different jutes. Reading reviews just about all of them complain about the petroleum smell, even ones that claim to be free of chemicals. None that we have found specifically state they are chemical free or organic. At Wal Mart jute in the tool section smells really bad compared to the stuff in the crafting section. That doesn't smell nearly as bad. One roll can smell worse than another too.

We actually have a disclaimer in the description of our ladders about the jute. You can purchase organic coconut fiber and organic hemp that is free of chemicals. The organic twines are double or triple the price of jute. I would love to phase out the jute all together, but the organics do not sell due the price difference!
Thank you motorcrab, I will spend the extra money then and find some hemp twine.

Crab dad to 5 PP's

BugsSnow&Milly

Post by BugsSnow&Milly » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:50 pm

I've bought some amazing things from the dollar tree for my crabitat. My favorite is a clear plastic globe with an opening that my hermies climb into and sit in. It reminds me of a McDonald's playland lookout.
Kind regards,
Bugs, Snow, Milly, & Mom ❤️

Topic author
Arkos

Post by Arkos » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:41 pm

Finally got the pools and a climbing cave set up, how's it looking so far? I did have to use like 6 zip ties to secure each side, those won't bother anything right? ImageImageImage

Crab dad to 5 PP's

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:51 pm

Coming along very nicely! The zip ties are great, they are what most crabbers use for attaching things!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

MurkyCrabs

Post by MurkyCrabs » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:02 am

That little hide is adorable! I’m loving the setup progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wlfwo

Post by Wlfwo » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:04 pm

I glued those flat marbles to the bottom pool so that the top pool sticks up a bit.

I can hear my 75g whispering from the barn.

Topic author
Arkos

Post by Arkos » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:33 pm

Thanks guys. I think this will likely be it for now. The new stimulus changes that though, the crabs will have a 200 or so dollar budget I think. Super excited for the future.

Crab dad to 5 PP's

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:19 am

Gotta love the Dollar Tree! Lol. It looks great! Maybe you can get some greenery with their new budget! I like to take it and put it on top of/around their hides to give more of a natural habitat vibe! My tank looks like a jungle already and you still have me wanting to go to Dollar Tree to see what I can find and add...it never ends!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk