Thoughts on a Hide

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Jamison

Thoughts on a Hide

Post by Jamison » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:34 am

It seems "little" Harry has outgrown the small cocohide I first bough him. I took a visit to the pet store, and they really didn't have any hides large enough to fit him. I've been considering constructing my own. Any thoughts or suggestions on this?
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

HermitCrabCHICA

Re: Thoughts on a Hide

Post by HermitCrabCHICA » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:42 am

I have an idea! One idea ...... cut a 2 liter soda bottle in half. Scoop a small amount of sand/EE and or moss in. Make a little place to put the bottle by digging into the sand/EE just a little bit. Place the bottle in and cover the top with sand/EE. Now you have a cave for your hermies! I used a water bottle because I don't usually have 2 liter sodas and my crabbies are small. Two Idea..... You should buy one of those coconut things with the rope and stuff. I know it is for birds but hermit crabs love it to! I wish you and Harry the best of luck finding a new hideout! :crabbigsmile:
RIP My precious Bubbles and Kelpcake. :(

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:51 pm

I took an opaque, rectangular shaped food storage container from the dollar store. Flipped it over and cut out a 'door' of appropriate size. I glued shells on the sides and a shower caddy on the top, so they could climb and have a 'look out'. The shells eventually fell off, so now I have a piece of driftwood beside so they can climb up on top.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:21 pm

I have a round cool whip dish in my big tank. I cut a large half oval hole in the center, and it works great. I just used a nail file to file down a couple of the sharp edges left by the scissors.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Enson

Post by Enson » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:48 am

Hope this link works. I made a post a few months ago when I made my own custom hide. See if it gives you any inspiration lol.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk