Springtail collection system

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
50 Caliber

Post by 50 Caliber » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:03 pm

I've been researching Springtails and decided to get some, like the tight wad I am, I didn't want to cough up $15 for a culture, so I decided to find some and make my own. My springtail traps weren't yielding results, so I decided upon direct collection. I realized there were hundreds crawling about the soil and concret around my house, so I whipped up a collection device and thought I would share.

I based the design off of shop vacuum cyclone filter systems and made it with the following materials:
4ish feet of aquarium tubing{amazon}
2 2oz plastic cups, one ounce may work, but two is better.{hobby lobby}
hot glue
a mesh square and damp paper towel filtration(optional)
I estimate total materials would come out to under $2

The design causes the air to swirl in the container, keeping the particles and spring tails at the bottom, while still allowing air to pass. I added a second container as a failsafe in case something somehow got through the first, but it's unlikely so could be used without it. It sounds a bit gross, but it's quite safe and worked really well. Nothing solid passed through the first chamber.

To create it, I took a few lengths of tubing, and put a hole in the side near the top and lid of each container, then inserted the tip of a tube and hot glue it in. The first chamber has the nozzle out the side, then is connected to the second containers side by the top, the second contain is connected to the mouth tube by its top. It may work in a different configuration, but this one seems to work the best to create an air cyclone. Put glue around the inside and out of each tube to create an airtight seal.

On the inside of the lid, I glued a very thin mesh screen. This step is optional. The design should prevent anything from being sucked through to your mouth, but it is a nice just in case feature. I'm sure a cotton ball or other breathable fabric would work just as well. Inside the second container, I added a wet paper towel to collect any of the very fine powder dust that carries along the air. I live in a place with fine clay dust, in most it may not be an issue.

It took me maybe 5 minutes to make the vacuum with things I already had lying about. After about 20 minutes of collecting, I had well over 50 springtails. They were so easy to get I may not need to breed them to begin with haha. Additionally, I cannot be sure because of just how small they can get, but this seems to be a mite free way of collecting, since you can pick and choose which springtails you want to take.

Thats my second round

As for my breeding tank, I don't feel qualified to say either way, as this is the beginning of my experiments, but there are plenty of guides out there and I'm happy to share my attempt if someone would like.

Hopefully this can help another, happy to answer any questions. :)

Edit, my images dont seem to have worked so here they are in a google drive https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Springtail collection system

Post by wodesorel » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:28 am

Hey, I edited your photos so they should show up now. Need to use the BBcode links to embed them into forum posts. Honestly surprised a hosting site still has those!

This is an awesome idea and your collection was so clean. Mine just showed up from being lazy with leaf, branch and flower collection (especially floating pond plants!) and then they spread everywhere on their own. They should breed for you without much work, unless you want clean cultures!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Joulesaffection

Post by Joulesaffection » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:22 pm

How did this end up turning out?

crabocado

Post by crabocado » Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:45 am

This is a really nifty project! If I understand, the basic idea is suck the springtails from the soil surface with your mouth, but interposing a plastic cup along the path of flow. Air velocity slows down where the cross-sectional area is larger (at the cup) so they fall to the bottom. Screen(s) along the way ensure stuff doesn't wind up in your mouth. I suppose a piece of a HEPA might be ideal (although that would mean more $$).

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:19 pm

Took me a second to connect the dots but you basically made a DIY aspirator. You can buy them online but yours is a lot cheaper

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspirator_(entomology)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk