Forest bedding

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Christa

Forest bedding

Post by Christa » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:32 am

The Product Review forum does not have to be restricted to "new" products only! :)

Most of us have experience using Forest Bedding/Eco Earth. Why not post your experience of using it here? I'm sure that newer members will appreciate any input on this interesting and somewhat controversial substrate.

hc!
Christa (who will add her own experience later)
~~ The HCA ~~ the original and still the best -- ACCEPT NO IMITATIONS
Ting-Tang (Walla walla bing bang!)
Crabbing since 1974
http://www.hermit-crabs.com

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:51 am

I started out using only FB in my 10 gallon tank and my crabbies seemed to really like it. When I got my 29 gal tank I put about 1/4 FB and 3/4 playsand and I still find that about 65% of my molts are in the FB. The only problem I have ever had with it was the first time I put it in water to expand it. I had no idea that it expanded so much! So I made quite a mess. Now I know better and use a 5 gallon bucket. :)

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:07 am

Mine love it. They seem to love to dig in it more than sand ( I use about 3/4 of the tank as just sand and then FB mixed in with a little bit of sand as the leftover 1/4 of the tank) I have it as the "cooler part" of my tank where the UTH is never really turned on (except a week or so ago when it got cold outside and we hadnt turned our heat on yet). Its definately their official digging area.

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:37 am

I have found that my crabs like to hang out in the FB but prefer to dig and molt in the sand. So, I use FB on my second level and sand for the main level.

I didn't like it as a main substrate because it was always too wet, smelled funky, and attracted bugs. It also molds alot easier than sand.

Another observation I've found with FB is that you don't need to follow the package directions. Nor do you have to use a whole brick at a time. You can use a hacksaw or sawzall to cut it in half (or quarters) - just be really careful. You can also flake off pieces of the brick if you only need small amounts.

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:25 pm

We currently use a mix of playsand and FB. This combination seems to give the best of both kinds of substrate. It makes great tunnels. We tried each separately and then found the crabs really seemed to like the combination.

Forest Bedding product review

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:30 pm

I first started out with sand and used it for two years. However I found that sand was to smelly and had to be changed so quickly. I then switched over to Reptile Bark, this was expensive but lasted quite long. I had many successful molts in the Reptile Bark. Then just recently I have decided to switch over the Forest Bedding. I switched because I wanted a more humidity holding substrate. My humidity guage now stays constant (no, it is not broken) and I don't have to mist as often. So far I have only had this bedding a month and have already had two successful molts in it. The forest bedding also gives an earthy smell, and rainforestry look, which I absolutely love!!
:wav:

Petalstorm

Post by Petalstorm » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:01 pm

My hermie's love the forest bedding! they really love the mix of sand and forest bed too. There are a couple downsides tho. It's hard to find poop and burried raisins and when sassy dug down after comming home from the store and died there was no smell. we waited months for her to destress and finally dug her up to check on her and there was no smell at all in the tank the forest bed kinda acted as an air freshener? but she was def dead for some time =(

Now hubby gets paranoid when hermies dig down in it to molt cause he can't smell that dead hermit crab smell just in case one doesn't make it.
Dbolack's crabby wife :P

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:32 pm

LOL...my hermit crabs must just be weird! I tried FB with my group, and they seemed really stressed out by it. I started with calcisand but wanted the humidity up, so I switched to FB. The entire night my crabs remained on top of anything they could find (shells, wood, plants). They just did not want to be on it! Anyway, I changed it back to calcisand the next day, and they were moving around on it just fine. Recently, I tried play sand because it was cheaper, and to my surprise, my picky little crabs absolutely love it! Now, my entire tank is moist playsand. It's nice because the sand that's over the heater is warm and has dried, while the sand on the other half of the tank is still moist and somewhat cool.

I guess my crabs have funny tastes in what they walk on, but they definitely enjoy play sand over FB.

OIF_VET

Post by OIF_VET » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:47 pm

Is FB the same as EE ??? LOL! Sorry...But...Which is the Puck/Brick? and expands?
Welcome to the HCA! Advice for the Stressed, Owners and Crabs alike.
Been Crabby Since 8/16/05 Land, Marine Hermit Crabs Since Summer '04
Currently Have 4 PPs. I have Countless Successful Molts!
MY "Lil Dudes"

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:20 pm

FB (forest bedding) is the same thing at EE (Eco Earth)...the other form of forest bedding is called "Bed-a-Beast" and its the same as the others, all come in bricks that need to be expanded.

There is the new "hermit crab soil" that comes in 3x3inch disks of the same material as the FB.

I use a mix of sand and FB in my ISO tank and am thinking about using the same mix in my main tank this time, I clearly will not be using the medium grade pre-cleaned sand again (this is not Playsand)--loses moisture too fast. I do not like to have tanks that are soley FB as they seem to attrack fruit flies and the soil molds very easily. I have had successful molts in the FB substrate tho.

FB is also good as a substrate in an area of the tank if you want to plant birdseed or wheat grass to grow in the tank so the crabbies can have a nice grass garden. :)
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:48 am

OIF_VET wrote:Is FB the same as EE ??? LOL! Sorry...But...Which is the Puck/Brick? and expands?
They are supposed to be the same thing, but I have had a lot better luck getting the FB to expand. Every EE brick I've tried has been a dud (could just be my luck - they were a 3 pack. now I gave up and am just buying FB).

Scythan

Post by Scythan » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:40 pm

I've only used EE so far. My hermit crabs seem to like it very much, and dig in it all the time. They also discovered that if they put a bit into the water dish so it touches the rest of the substrate, the water goes down it and disappears! :o I like the way it looks, and will look into planting something like wheatgrass.

OIF_VET

Post by OIF_VET » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:22 pm

Would like to know the Pros and Cons of FB/EE compared to other Substrates.

Also, Is Bed a Beast good or Bad? Pros and Cons?

I am thinking of Changing out some of my Substrate. I currently use a PlaySand that I dont care too much for. It seems too Grainy, And IMO doesnt hold moisture too well. I may change that over to something less grainy.(PlaySand)

Thanks for any feedback and advice :)
Welcome to the HCA! Advice for the Stressed, Owners and Crabs alike.
Been Crabby Since 8/16/05 Land, Marine Hermit Crabs Since Summer '04
Currently Have 4 PPs. I have Countless Successful Molts!
MY "Lil Dudes"

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:42 pm

I like mixing EE in with playsand. It helps the sand retain moisture and it keeps the sand lighter (I guess would be the best way to explain it). The crabs seem to really like it too. At least, mine seem to prefer it to plain sand or EE.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:53 am

Hi, my tank is entirely moist play-sand. I rinse about 1/3 of the sand out every week, this removes any poop I missed in the daily rounds, and adds moisture (I live in a very dry, cold climate). Sand is great, because it's easy to care for, doesn't smell, and with the help of drift wood, form caves for the crabs... But the other day I was given a small container of forest bedding from a friend. I put the small container in the tank to see if the crabs would respond to it, and they did. By the morning, half the forest bedding was out of the container and all 4 of my crabs had buried down in the little container not very successfully on account of the containers size.

I've read your reviews and I think I'll try mixing forest bedding and sand together, but could someone outline caring for forest bedding or this combination of bedding and sand? Given the darkness and density (or lack of density) of the bedding, how do you find and clean poop or old food? How do you keep it moist on a daily or weekly basis? I can't imagine washing it like sand, how do you keep bedding clean?

Hope you can answer some questions!
Mike