what are you using for glue?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Ryanstein

Post by Ryanstein » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:17 am

I used 5 minute epoxy, and that worked. I would recommend though that you should cover it in aquarium sealant, so high humidity doesn't soften it (like with me). Make sure you use a support. To use this epoxy, you have to mix two liquids (stir on newspaper, its kind of gooey).
1 E, 1 PP, our dog Lekima, and our cat Ruby!

~Hermit Crabbing since December 2005~
~Fiddler Crabbing since August 2006~

BAB

Post by BAB » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:02 am

Requiem wrote:I've always used plain silicone and had no problems. Just make sure to wait the 48 hours or so for the smell to dissipate, then it's perfectly neutral and odorless.
I use that too. Just make sure it says 100% silicone.... which if you read the ingredients of aquarium sealent you'll find that to be the same.

No issues. Have had stuff in the tank for over 6 months with it. Hubbie used the caulk gun and all. MUCH cheaper then pet store stuff for sure!
**Crabbing since July 2005*~*100+ successful molts**
I have a total of 2 PP's

Note:My information on crab care is NOT the only way to do things. Please research your topics.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:58 pm

Elmer's school glue or wood glue...non-toxic for all. I've been using it for my second floor hermit loft and no crabs eat it or have gotten sick from it. it dries in an hour and no fumes. its stronger then most people think. i used it in college for everything I had to build for various art projects.

Topic author
Willow

Post by Willow » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:56 pm

But you can't use those where it stays wet....they'll dissolve. Like they wouldn't work for gluing shell on the water dish, for instance.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:25 pm

Never had that problem and my humidity is at 75% the glue has stayed solid for a year so far

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:47 pm

You can also use superglue if you let it cure. Superglue is safe enough that people use it for first aid, and, more tellingly to my mind, a lot of people who grow VERY difficult to keep corals use it to attach their frags to base rock. It doesn't hurt any of them. I wouldn't buy the dollar store five tubes for a dollar kind, I'd stick to name brands, though. I use Krazy Glue with my corals, on the advice of a very conscientious aquarist friend, and have never had an issue. Like sealant, though, I would let it cure to be safe. The good thing is that it won't break down, even in salt water, it will keep it's hold, unlike hot glue or elmer's. :-)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:35 am

just any hardware store i guess :?