Does Anyone Have a Pattern to Crochet a Hermie Hemp Net?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author

Does Anyone Have a Pattern to Crochet a Hermie Hemp Net?

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:17 am

Hi

I have seen posts and directions about patterns for Knitted Hemp Nets. My crochet skills are MUCH better than my knitting skills. Does anyone have a crochet net pattern that they can share? If I have to knit something, my poor crabs could be waiting a very long time for their net :)

Thanks!

Stacie

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:39 am

I know what you mean...my knitting experience is very minimal. I did a rectangular crochet net for my tank. I just measured how big I wanted it (it covers one-third of the tank, so finished it is about 12" x 10") added 10% for the shrinkage when I soaked it in salt water, and did double crochet until it was big enough. Then I did my ramp separately and sewed it on, but you could make it all one piece. My ramp is alternating single and double crochet, 14 stitches wide and about 7 inches long. When it was all done I soaked it in salt water for about 10 minutes then flattened it on a towel to dry overnight. Then I hung it from 3M Command hooks at each corner.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:18 am

Thanks, Katzeye! I will give it a try.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:18 pm

naturallycrabby.com has patters for kniting I think.... maybe crocheting can't remember which.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:26 pm

I think it's knitted. But her (Lolagranola) website gets all the credit for me ever having the idea in the first place.

I wanna do a corner shelf next.

Featherscrabs haven't you done some as well?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:38 pm

No I bought mine from LolaGranola (naturallycrabby.com) I've got a corner shelf net and a long bridge.

ohmeshell

Post by ohmeshell » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:56 pm

I did the same as Katzeye. Just measured and double crocheted until it was big enough, then joined a ramp to the side.
It worked really well, and if you buy suction cups, the threads will hang right on there!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:57 am

It worked! I chained a row of stitches, followed up with a row of half double crochets, and then did two double crochets followed by two chain stitches. I just kept on going until it was the right size and finished off with a row of half double crochets. The whole thing only took an hour including the ramp.

Now, I just need to go out and get some hooks....

Thanks, Katzeye.