How to add a second level shell shop?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

fishbone

Post by fishbone » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:55 pm

Just make sure whatever silicone you use, is pure and does not have any fungicides or other things. Play it safe and get the stuff labeled "aquarium silicone". Even Menards carries it.
Nebraska hermit crab rescue

SebbyCrab

Post by SebbyCrab » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:23 pm

Big MaC wrote:Don't use metal!!! Metal will rust and it will harm the hermit crabs!!! use a shower basket :)
Sorry Mac... does sound like you're yelling at them for using metal when they weren't.

You could always put a couple holes through the bin, and run twine or other strong string through and cover the holes with hot glue.
PP's, E's, Straws, Violas

blackorchid77

Post by blackorchid77 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:51 am

Could someone explain to me how you would use a shower caddy as a second level for hermies? When I go to google images to search for them, they are all wire based or they look like hermies cant climb them? could someone show me a picture of the type of shower caddy they used?

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:32 pm

For my smaller moss pit I use this:

http://www.organize.com/small-powerlock-basket.html

I zip-tied aquarium plant mats to the front and placed a large piece of cork bark next to it so the crabs can climb up there.

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:31 pm

I'm using this one as a second level moss pit (which they love): http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/p ... erralID=NA

I haven't had any trouble with it coming loose. I have cholla wood that they can climb to get up there.
Owner of 4 PPs

blackorchid77

Post by blackorchid77 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:17 am

ok thanks!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:36 am

I bought one of the clear plastic corner shower caddies from Walmart last month and have been really surprised by how sturdy that thing is. I actually have problems getting it off the glass! It was around $6 and it looks exactly like the one in the link that CrabbyMom33 gave.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:22 am

I've been really happy with the Interdesign products as far as the suction cups staying attached. I have their small soap dish in my 10 gallon with moss in it and once it a while one suction cup will come loose, generally after somebody has been up there picking at the suction cups. :roll: I have the corner one in my 90 and I found one online that is 15" long and about 4" wide and 2" high, with 4 suction cups across the back, that I'm using for a second level shell shop.
Owner of 4 PPs

thysmittenkitten

Post by thysmittenkitten » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:16 pm

I use all weather tape, the crabs can't get to it behind the caddy. I just run a long strip of it and it won't move! :)
*~Maria Elena~*

i've been misunderstood for all of my life. *Neil Diamond*

Tammi_234

Post by Tammi_234 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:18 pm

I went to Walmart today and I couldn't find that shower caddy! :roll: They said they didn't even have shower caddys! Where else do you think I could find one? Kohls?

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:55 am

Kohl's does carry them. I got my corner caddy there. Also, if you have a Bed, Bath, and Beyond they should have them.
Owner of 4 PPs

Tammi_234

Post by Tammi_234 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:28 pm

Thanks! Now I just need an excuse for my mom to take me to Kohls...SHOPPING SPREE!!!! :D

shreder75

Re:

Post by shreder75 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:57 pm

CrabbyMom33 wrote:I'm using this one as a second level moss pit (which they love): http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/p ... erralID=NA

I haven't had any trouble with it coming loose. I have cholla wood that they can climb to get up there.
I just bought that very same caddy tonight at bed bath and beyond..drying as we speak...I have a peice of cholla (that was in my last tat) that Im planning to use so they can get up there...my concern is them getting out and back onto the cholla...I bought a bunch of river pebble that I'm going to put in there in addition to the shells..so I'm figuring they can use that to climb out and back onto the wood
Scotty (PP), Crabby ii (PP), Mr. Anderson ii (PP--RIP), Capt. Kirk (E), Mr. Spock (E), Dizzy the dog (Sheltie-Eskimo mix)

CrabbyMom33

Re: How to add a second level shell shop?

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:03 pm

I had the same concern. I put a small piece of cork on one side. It was just long enough to fit in the caddy and just high enough to get them to the top and back on to the cholla. Another option is to wrap something through the holes. I have a bridge I made attached on one side and used the flexible reptile vine to attach it. They can climb up that to get out.

This picture doesn't show it up close, but you can see the cork sticking up out of the caddy on the left just behind the cholla.
Owner of 4 PPs

sdevine

Re: How to add a second level shell shop?

Post by sdevine » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:47 am

hey crabbymom, can you post a picture of the other caddy you mentioned? The one that is 15 inches long? I've been looking for something similar for shells maybe. I have found a metal one, that is in the shower caddy section at walmart so I'm guessing it won't rust but I'd have to put something in the bottom to fill in the gaps. I'd love to find a plastic one.