Tat safe or not?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
sararoseey

Tat safe or not?

Post by sararoseey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:58 pm

I am in the process of setting up my new twenty gallon, and I have a ton of ideas but I don't know if they are safe or not. My aunt owns a gravel pit and I got a ton of nice rocks there to use (cleaned, of course) that I want to attach with silicon to create a rock featurr and the focal point would be a geode, a small one but it's gorgeous. There's no dyes or anything unsafe in it, I know because I cut it myself. The sides are all smooth so they cant cut themsleves or anything on it. Are geodes hermit crab safe?
2 PP's- Sammy is five whole years old and new baby Gaston is less than one, and one crazy maltese/poodle-shihtzu named Archy:).
http://sararoseey.deviantart.com/ check out my sculptures!

Shivering Isles

Post by Shivering Isles » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:47 pm

Go for it! The definitely sound safe. I have used petrified wood in my tank and I have soo many geodes but have never thought to use them. :) You have to post pics when your done!
"Some things start out big, and some things start out small, very small. But sometimes the smallest thing can make the biggest changes of all."
-Plio from Dinosaur

Topic author
sararoseey

Post by sararoseey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:01 pm

I will! I have a hunk of petrified wood too, I was thinking about using that, and I'm happy it's safe:)
There used to be the coolest rock store by my old house, we would buy cool rocks aaaall the time. I have an awesome piece of agate but it's dyed pink so I assumed it wouldnt be safe.
2 PP's- Sammy is five whole years old and new baby Gaston is less than one, and one crazy maltese/poodle-shihtzu named Archy:).

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:05 pm

Sounds like a really neat project. We had another member here, I believe is was Karbon, who made rock formations to decorate his crabitat.

Topic author
sararoseey

Post by sararoseey » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:43 pm

Thanks! And thanks everyone for the advise! I also have two more questions.

I made a super cool climbey out of some old wooden dowels and some twine. I made it a raft at first but it wasn't holding so I just went nuts with the twine, wrapping it and weaving it. I think it looks like fun, but I'm nervous their legs will get caught. Do you need a picture to judge?

And GE silicone, it's cheap and they sell it at my local home depot, but there's two types and I dont know which to buy. The blue bathroom one or the red kitchen one? I've heard the kitchen one, but the bathroom one is cheaper so I'd love to hear some opinions on that!

Sorry this is so long:) I thought I was an experienced crabber but there's so much to learn!

Shivering Isles

Post by Shivering Isles » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:52 pm

I am not really sure about the climbing toy. I think pictures would help. :) \

The silicone I used for my pools is called GE premium waterproof silicone. Window/door/attic/basement. Silicone 2 clear.

Hope this helps! :D
"Some things start out big, and some things start out small, very small. But sometimes the smallest thing can make the biggest changes of all."
-Plio from Dinosaur

Topic author
sararoseey

Post by sararoseey » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:10 pm

Thank you, it does help!
And I'll get right to putting a picture up, I have one I just have to upload it haha:)

Topic author
sararoseey

Post by sararoseey » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:31 pm

sorry to double- post, but here it is! it looks just like a thing i used to have on an old jungle gym ahaha. i dont think itll work but at least it killed time because i reallly didnt want to do any more homework :)

here it is- ignore the rocks i was just making towers hahaha :)

and heres the new twenty gallon long i just bought this week! i cant wait to use it hahaha:)

Shivering Isles

Post by Shivering Isles » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:59 pm

No I think the climbey toy would be great! But just watch your crabs the first few days, just to be safe :wink: Congrats on your new 20! Can't wait to see pictures of it when its all set up. :cat:
-Plio from Dinosaur

Mike120

Post by Mike120 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:52 pm

I think I see coenobita tacones there in the bottom right of the last pic. :D

Topic author
sararoseey

Post by sararoseey » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:47 pm

Mike120 wrote:I think I see coenobita tacones there in the bottom right of the last pic. :D
Hahahaha I didn't even know that he was in the picture!! It made me laugh that you noticed it!:)

joshjahnke

Post by joshjahnke » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:41 am

I personally don't know much about which silicones are good and which aren't, but I've read on other threads here that GE Silicone II is not good. It has chemicals in it that remain even after it is cured. Just wanted to give you a heads up :)