Whats the best way to make a 2nd level?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
jmfx2

Whats the best way to make a 2nd level?

Post by jmfx2 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:52 am

I have the suction cups and the baskets but wanted more of a 2nd floor. I am moving my non buried crabs to the new 50G tank this weekend and I want to make it awesome!

CrabbyIrene

Post by CrabbyIrene » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:56 am

Hemp nets? Corner shower caddies?
7 PP's, 5 crazy E's!
Crabby since 2007

sdevine

Post by sdevine » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:29 am

I saw pictures of a tank where they had taken columns and put them in and sat a plexi glass second level on top of them. I'm not sure if they were the kind that you use for multi level cakes or if they used like those greek ruin aquarium decorations as the base. I guess it just depends on how you hide your support beams, I'm not sure what could be used as a type of shelf support, some of those big magnets? guess it just depends on how large and how much weight you want to put on a second level.

HartnellHermit

second level

Post by HartnellHermit » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:31 am

I made a second level for my shells, to help keep them clean for the crabbies. I bought a couple of plastic shoebox size containers from the dollar store. I cut out most of one of the long sides to give access, leaving a small lip to retain the shells. I cut out 3 sides on the second one and turned it upside down and used a little velcro to attach the first one to it. So I have a large hide with 3 entrances and a shell shop on top that sits along the back of my tank. Access to the shop is either by fish net which covers the back wall and drapes down the sides of the boxes, or by artificial jungle vine which leads to the front entrance from the floor of the tank. I have a 55gal tank, so this works for me. It should work for a smaller tank using smaller containers. I have also used the same set up to provide a moss pit. The only problem I have with it is that with time, the lower container will sink into the substrate, so you do have to make adjustments now and then. I tend to redecorate twice a year anyway. Cheers.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:33 pm

I use Sterilite containers as second levels - the ones that are like 11 inches wide by 15 inches long by 2 inches deep. They can hold some substrate so that they look nice and the crabs ejoy being up there, but it's normally too shallow for them to want to molt where they shouldn't. The deeper containers (the ones that are 6 inches or so) are great for making uber-deep moss pits. :) I can fit over 20 crabs in the moss pit with room to spare!

To hold them up you can zip tie to branches sunk into the substrate, or you can build a very small scaffold with 1/4 or 1/2 inch PVC pipe and elbows from the hardware store. The ABS plastic pipe comes in black so it's not very noticeable. :) Just like a little table that sits underneath to support the weight.

What I like the best is that they are very easy to remove in case I need to get underneath them, or to bring them out to clean them.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GRMU99

Post by GRMU99 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:16 pm

I have a corner plastic shower caddy for my 2nd story. I have a layer of stone on the bottom then I had put the soil on top. I also have some shells up there too.
2 cats
Buddy and Belle