All living things half log hideout

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Jamescfjr

All living things half log hideout

Post by Jamescfjr » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:40 pm

Alright, so here's the scoop: I went to petsmart today (Yay herp-sale!) and I bought a lot of things. I bought three of these half log hideouts from the Petsmart brand "All Living Things." I did not, however, check what kind of wood they are. Any ideas? I'm fearing that they are pine and will not place them until I have a positive check on it.
6 PPs (6/12/11): Pinchy/Calypso (♀), Filo (♀), Clack (♂), Statler (♂), Petrie (♂), and Waldorf (♂).
Pinchy and Calypso turned out to be the same crab, pre-molt/post-molt.

Topic author
Jamescfjr

Re: All living things half log hideout

Post by Jamescfjr » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Also, double post. I purchased a wooden bird ladder from "Bob's pet products" which is a division of "North American Pet Products" this is another one that I cannot be certain of. It may be pine, but could be maple.
6 PPs (6/12/11): Pinchy/Calypso (♀), Filo (♀), Clack (♂), Statler (♂), Petrie (♂), and Waldorf (♂).

samurai_crab

Post by samurai_crab » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:48 pm

Pine isn't actually bad for them. In super concentrated amounts it might be but pine is found naturally in many of the different species of hermit crab's native territory.
C. clypeatus, C. compressus, & C. perlatus

IBlab crab

Post by IBlab crab » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:59 pm

I have never been sure about those half log things. I tried one with my crabs and they would not go near it,but all the pet stores seem to use them. Let us know if they like them.

shreder75

Post by shreder75 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:42 am

I have one of those..I bought it when I got a bigger tank..I figured I could get rid of my cocohuts and make one big consolidated hide for my crabs as well as giving them something to climb on...but they never used it =( I tried it in a couple configurations but it was a no go...I don't think it was unsafe, I just think they didn't dig it for wahtever reason...picky beasties =)
Scotty (PP), Crabby ii (PP), Mr. Anderson ii (PP--RIP), Capt. Kirk (E), Mr. Spock (E), Dizzy the dog (Sheltie-Eskimo mix)

Topic author
Jamescfjr

Post by Jamescfjr » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Update! My crabs did hide under it, though they had to dig down to be able to do so (most of my crabs are medium, I have 2 that are on the cusp between medium and large). I, however, did not like them. I completely rearrange my tank about once a month, so when I did this for September, I took them out. I'll be making a post later about my new tank set-up. I think the cave/hide-away is probably the best I've ever made. :D

hermit lover 09

Post by hermit lover 09 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:43 pm

Mine love it and i have had it for almost a year, and it hasnt bothered them, they love to climb all over it
Proud owner of 3 PP's (more to come) 10G tank
Ranger (girl), Mitsy (boy), Crust (?) R.I.P- Ebay (PP)
5 SUCCESSFUL MOLTS! Mitsy, Ranger, Crust!
"OMG!! treasure"