How much does it cost to build a tank?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
beachcrabs

How much does it cost to build a tank?

Post by beachcrabs » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:46 pm

Hi guys :) I'm new here!
I don't have my crabs right now, but I currently have a 10 gallon ISO and I'm buying a 20 gallon tank with a lid, water dish, and tree for $10! What a deal! :D But I'd like something bigger too. I have a strict budget and would like to keep it under $50. How expensive is glass or plexiglass and aquarium sealant? Can I build a tank for under $50 that's bigger than what I have? I plan on buying 3 medium crabs to start off, so then I would almost be at the maximum.
2 PPs, 2 Es

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: How much does it cost to build a tank?

Post by wodesorel » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:59 pm

For under $50? Plexiglass sheets are expensive for small pieces ($13 for a 12x20 inch piece). The aquarium silicone is $14 a tube around here. You may be able to use GE Silicone I - that's about $5 a tube. I'm not sure how much a large piece of glass runs, but I've heard that it can be expensive as well.

Honest though, I think you're better off checking the local trade websites like kijiji.com, craigslist.com, and freecycle.com. Yard and trunk sales, too! You should be able to score a 55 gallon easy for that. Perhaps even a 90 gallon if you get lucky.

And right now Petco is holding a $1 a gallon sale. So you could buy a brand new 40 gallon (breeder tanks are recommended) for $40. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
beachcrabs

Post by beachcrabs » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:20 pm

My petco isn't doing a $1 per gallon sale! :( The 40 gallon tank is $90. I will ask them about the $1 per gallon sale because I am buying my crabs from there. They had a wonderful, perfect setup and when I asked them to change from painted shells to natural shells they said they'd switch but I have to wait for new crabs to come in... I think they have Ruggies.
The 20 gallon tank was the cheapest on Craigslist and the Freecycle person won't add me to the group so I can't see if they have any!
EDIT: Just went to petco. They are originally $110 but with petpals are $40. Thanks for telling me! Do you know when the sale ends?
2 PPs, 2 Es

musicalcrabbies

Post by musicalcrabbies » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:43 pm

beachcrabs wrote: Do you know when the sale ends?
My petco ends Sept. 17.

I hope I can find a way to make it. 40galB for $40? That's practically stealing! :banana: