Exo terra tank topper question

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
stewartx4

Exo terra tank topper question

Post by stewartx4 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:51 pm

Hopefully I have done enough searching that this question hasn't been answered. For everyone who has an exo terra as a topper to another tank, has anyone taken off the screen top and turned the exo terra upside down leaving the glass on the top? From what I have read it appears as if everyone takes out the glass and leaves the screen. I am thinking about getting one to top half of my 75 gallon tank. I love the idea of the screen and possibly having a UVB light but I think I might like the glass on top so I don't introduce a problem with humidity. Thanks for any suggestions!
3 pps, 7 straws, 3 ruggies and 1 e

kuza

Re: Exo terra tank topper question

Post by kuza » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:28 pm

the top felt very weak to me when I tried turning it upside down. That big glass on the bottom (which you'll put on top) is very heavy.

Topic author
stewartx4

Post by stewartx4 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:11 pm

Thanks Kuza. I was wondering if it would be top heavy. Especially since I have a 75 not 90 so I was thinking about the 24x18x18 (instead of the 12 inch high like I think you have). Are you satisfied with your humidity with the screen top? I see you have a large light hood. Is there any screen exposed or do you have it covered with something?

kuza

Post by kuza » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:21 pm

I have a self cut plexiglass cover on the front half and the light fixture has electrical tape covering all but 2 air slots. I use electrical tape or clear packing tape around any gaps and the crabs don't climb up there so I don't worry about them eating tape.

Cecil716

Post by Cecil716 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:41 pm

I tried to just flip it as is, but the tank was sitting the the inner lip thing of the tank frame and wouldn't open. I just used a glass blade (with water running over it) and cut out most of it. I just picked out all the remaing glass and washed the entire tank for ten minutes with a hose. I filed down some of the plastic at the bottom and had to trim it a little to fit the inner section. Its very sturdy as its just a 18x18x18 but the lid on the other part of the tank seems to hold in the tank. My crabs LOVE this tank add on, and I just bought another one for the other side!
Current hermits: About 17 PPs and 3 straws (for now)
A 180-ish gallon tank with two 36 gallon extenstions!
What can I say? I love crabs!

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:19 am

The top of an exo terra does not seem strong enough to support the weight, especially in the front over the doors.

Topic author
stewartx4

Post by stewartx4 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:37 am

Thank you everyone, you guys are great! I really appreciate all of the responses. I'm not quite sure what I am going to do now but as soon as I do I'll let everyone know!!!

Cecil716

Post by Cecil716 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:37 pm

CallaLily wrote:The top of an exo terra does not seem strong enough to support the weight, especially in the front over the doors.
After carefully adding on another tank today, I can confirm that most exoterra tanks do seem every flimsy at the top over the doors. One tank is very flimsy, while the other seems to be sturdy. I wouldn't flip the tank over, too risky.
Current hermits: About 17 PPs and 3 straws (for now)
A 180-ish gallon tank with two 36 gallon extenstions!
What can I say? I love crabs!

Topic author
stewartx4

Post by stewartx4 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:06 am

Good to know, thanks!

Topic author
stewartx4

Post by stewartx4 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:21 pm

Just an FYI - I did end up turning my exo terra upside down and it is working really well so far. The edge felt very weak right side up but once you turn it over it is not weak anymore. I just decided to try it for the heck of it even though I didn't think the door would open properly but it did. Image

Topic author
stewartx4

Re: Exo terra tank topper question (UPDATE)

Post by stewartx4 » Wed May 06, 2015 6:34 pm

So it has been about eight months since I put the exo terra upside down (glass up, removed screen and that side down) on half of my 75 gallon and I just wanted everyone to know it has worked out really wonderfully! I have been very pleasantly surprised at how sturdy it has remained (once turned upside down, feels flimsy before turning) and the doors have been easy to open, even by my 10 year old daughter. Just an FYI if anyone is hesitant about cutting the glass side out.

Asheka

Post by Asheka » Wed May 06, 2015 8:08 pm

This is what I'm doing, though on a smaller scale. I'm using a plexiglass frame to help with stability though, as it's just not exact enough to sit on it's own.
I'm not sure if they differ here, but all sides and pieces are very sturdy on the one I have.
4 cats. 1 Dwarf African Frog. 1 amazing fiance. Four PPs; Peeta, Finnick, Katniss, and Rue.
Don't Hate What You Don't Understand PRIDE!
http://crabtaztic.blogspot.ca
Turning the gross and scary cute and merry at PlayfulDead Creationz

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed May 06, 2015 8:24 pm

I'm glad to hear it's held up for you. Out of curiosity, how long is your exo terra? I'm wondering if length plays a role in how flimsy the top above the doors seem. I really wouldn't have trusted mine (36") that way but maybe I worry too much.

Asheka

Post by Asheka » Wed May 06, 2015 9:02 pm

I'm not sure the exact size of mine, but I know it's a small one. When I measured for the lid piece, I had a 14x14 piece cut for it's frame, and it's about 10x10 cut out in the middle.
4 cats. 1 Dwarf African Frog. 1 amazing fiance. Four PPs; Peeta, Finnick, Katniss, and Rue.
Don't Hate What You Don't Understand PRIDE!
http://crabtaztic.blogspot.ca
Turning the gross and scary cute and merry at PlayfulDead Creationz

Topic author
stewartx4

Post by stewartx4 » Thu May 07, 2015 6:33 am

I'm not at home to measure but I believe the exo terra is 24 inches long by 18 inches wide. It takes up exactly half of the 75 gallon. I did have one that was 36 inches and I never tried to turn it upside down because it was being used by its self but I think you are correct. It did feel flimsy and its sheer size would have scared me from flipping it!