Operation Adoption

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Ryry

Operation Adoption

Post by Ryry » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:34 pm

In light of my impending adoption I have to get my tank ready. Any suggestions would be great! I need/ want to add a few more inches of sub to the tat. Today I bought some ee bricks and I put a whole brick into the tank. It gave me about one more inch. I'm afraid of doing too much on top because I have one possible molting crab and I have another who buries every day. I was pretty confident I knew where they were so I just lightly sprinkled ee over them.
Do you think it's safe to add another two inches of ee sand mix?
I also got a piece of wood to hang in the middle of the tat. I'm loving the way it all is looking. i have a few more pieces of cholla wood and plants on the way, so until I get that and my pools set up I'm not done yet!
Any ideas are welcome. Especially if you have any tricks up your sleeve about hanging thing for a second story. I need a good shell shop soon. Shells are currently on top of the 'closed' pool lol.
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

Topic author
Ryry

Re: Operation Adoption

Post by Ryry » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:37 pm

All kinds of crabby!

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:51 pm

I like my raised shell shops. Theyre suction cup soap dishes. The sub gets tracked by the climbs to get there so the shop doesnt get too dirty. It does fall on occaision, though.
Adding sub is no prob. Just dont pack it down, i dont think itll bother molters at all. Sand it pretty strong when moist.
Second levels, im getting into the idea of building platforms. I like that the crabs can dig against the pillars thatre buried in the ground and possibly hide behind something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Ryry

Post by Ryry » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:06 pm

Totally right there with you on platforms. I want some corner shell shops but would u believe I'm having a heck of a time finding them? I've ran all around Walmart and they didn't have corner pieces. Rude. I'm thinking I'll just order some from Amazon.
The wood that I'd 'floating' in my tank is zip tied to the center support beam and the back end is resting on a plastic box. I am in the middle of making a hide that will take the place of the box. Next I think is more vines an what not.
I'm glad u think it's fine to add more sub. I was thinking just putting it on top can't hurt- but then what do I know? Lol
All kinds of crabby!

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:16 pm

I think I found my corner shower caddies from Target, if that helps :)
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:34 pm

Meh, theyre crabs. They can handle a lil bit o sand
I wanted corner caddys too but i wanted clear and everything was expeeeensive! Plus, i figured i wanted to reserve the corners for the pools, but now that i think about it, i can have corners AND pools! Yeyuh!
Lookin fwd to your upgrade! It sounds like a great time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Ryry

Post by Ryry » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:37 pm

I'll check it out! Thank you! I feel like I'm on such a time crunch! I'm getting two crabs Sunday and two on Tuesday!! Exciting but now all I can think about is what to make better before they come. I know I need more sub, and since the last two are different kind than what I have I just want to b prepared.
I have PPs and I will b getting one viola and one indo on Tuesday. I feel bad they won't have a specie buddy but at least they know each other lol.
I have been reading up on them and they are both a more active breed. Any first hand knowledge is welcome too!!
All kinds of crabby!

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:46 pm

Thanks for the reminder :) I just put a wanted ad on craigslist for exotics. I might not get anything, but you never know :)
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

Topic author
Ryry

Post by Ryry » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:58 pm

That's the spirit! I found my first adoption through Craig's list. I've been trolling on there hoping to find something. And I totally did!! This Sunday a lady is giving me her two PPs she can no longer look after, and she's giving me some shells and cholla wood and what not. I am super excited for the crabs and the goodies. This way I can use the new stuff to update the tank one last time before my other two come in. I think that's when I'll get my sub up to where I want to be.

I am just so excited! My friends and family all think I'm crazy... Lol
All kinds of crabby!

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:06 pm

Yeah, my parents and friends think I'm crazy. And now that you mention the cholla, I think I'll ask for any supplies too :)

Topic author
Ryry

Post by Ryry » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:41 pm

It's a good idea. If they are looking to get rid of everything then it's a win. Food, sub, climbing stuff, shells, and extra ISO tank stuff. I'm getting a small ISO tank and I'm super excited :) it's all so exciting!
All kinds of crabby!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:06 am

Corner caddies are with the DIY bath stuff, back with the plumbing and paint. It took me three trips before I found them. ;)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:03 am

Lol, when I went to Walmart my first time searching for them, I could not find them anywhere!

Topic author
Ryry

Post by Ryry » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:35 am

I couldn't find them at Walmart and then I finally asked someone where they were they didn't have the corner ones... >:/ rude. I'll try target tonight, hopefully get some better sized pools too. We also have a hobby lobby that just opened up, so I'm going to swing by and look at the shells and what not
All kinds of crabby!

Topic author
Ryry

Post by Ryry » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:01 pm

So one of my possible molters came up last night to eat and change a shell. Now he is back in his little corner digging back down. He is not buried yet though. If I'm going to add some sub to the tank do you think it's ok for me to pull him out? The top of his shell is still visible, and it looks more like he's just digging than getting ready to molt again. I just don't want to freak him out or make him have to use too much energy to re-dig his little tunnel. Unless people thing it's not that big of a deal.
All kinds of crabby!