55 + 90 gallon builds!

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

soilentgringa

Re: 55 + 90 gallon builds!

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:30 am

I ordered fairly thin sheets of plexiglass off of Amazon. They were about 1/2 inch too wide to fit down into the lip of my tank, but I scored them on both sides after marking lines with a ruler and sharpie, and used pliers to break the piece away.

They sit down in the lip of my tank and have a screened lid over them. I'm planning on ordering a couple of more pieces in the dimensions that would allow me to attach them to the top of the screen lid because it is hinged in the middle.

I got the plexiglass before the lid and discovered that my fatty cats like to sit on top of the crab tank and fall in when the plexiglass wouldn't support their weight.

My tanks are constantly a work in progress.

KDK241

Post by KDK241 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:43 pm

I am new to keeping hermit crabs but I have had aquariums for years and can give some advice about the weight.

The general rule of thumb when keeping fish is that it will weigh 10 lbs per gallon of water. I have had a 75 gallon tank (weighing roughly 750 lbs) on the second floor for years and have had no problems. The important thing is the placement of the tank. Place against a load bearing wall if possible and make sure that it runs across the floor beams, not with or it will start to sag the subfloor.

Also if you are at all handy you can build an inexpensive stand out of 2x4's that would be lighter in weight but strong enough to hold the tank. There are also ideas for cinder block and wood stands that don't use as many blocks.

Keep in mind this is for newer homes, if your have an older home definitely have the floor checked for structural issues.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... ?t=1567110
Katie
12 PPs, Rosco the dog, Ziggy the Chinese Water Dragon and Shirley the pygmy chameleon

Topic author
TheDivineZero

Post by TheDivineZero » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:38 pm

Thanks for the tips! We did actually build a stand, and it works very well! The floor has been holding great, but being cautious never hurts!

I actually have it set up now and have tenants.. sorry for the lack of pictures... :oops: I will certainly take some! I did a quick set up, as I caught wind of an adoption up north.

I'll add pictures when I get my decor settled. :)
Proud owner of 2 cats (Calvin & Hobbs), 1 dog (Artemis) and 1 Bearded Dragon (Mushu)

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:19 am

TheDivineZero wrote:Thanks for the tips! We did actually build a stand, and it works very well! The floor has been holding great, but being cautious never hurts!

I actually have it set up now and have tenants.. sorry for the lack of pictures... :oops: I will certainly take some! I did a quick set up, as I caught wind of an adoption up north.

I'll add pictures when I get my decor settled. :)

i was stalking old posts for ideas and caught yours. i'd love to see pictures!
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot