Acrylic Paint Question

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
ErikRasmussen

Acrylic Paint Question

Post by ErikRasmussen » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:32 pm

I am making a sliding glass lid and using these corner pieces to hold the glass. If I used acrylic paint to paint them would I still have to seal it with silicone sealant or is acrylic paint safe enough as it is? Thanks.

MuseCrazy

Re: Acrylic Paint Question

Post by MuseCrazy » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:05 pm

You should seal with the silicone. I use acrylic paint for art and even the highest quality will eventually chip off of clay surfaces. Even if it is non-toxic, if it chips there's no telling what will happen when the crabs eat it. Better to seal it with aquarium safe silicone.

Rebecca C

Post by Rebecca C » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:45 pm

I agree with MuseCrazy. In fact, any paints or glues that state that they are 'non-toxic' may still be toxic to hermit crabs; just because they are non-toxic to us, does not mean that they are non-toxic to smaller animals.
~Ashley

I have 3 PP's, 1 E, and a puppy. :) Hermit Crabbing since August '04 R.I.P: to the crabs I have lost and R.I.P. Rocky(my first pet).
I make and sell all-natural, chemical and dye free hermit crab food on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheHappyHermi ... p_redirect

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:55 pm

I agree with Muse on the silicon covering. As for the toxicity, many, many frog hobbyists use acrylic paint for backgrounds and other things they put in their enclosures. Frogs are extremely sensitive animals, known as the "canaries" of an environment. They also absorb water through their skin, and are very delicate, especially when it comes to toxics. If acrylic paint can be used with frogs, including poison dart frogs, it is most definitely safe for hermit crabs. The only danger is ingestion from a chip that may come off. For this, I would go with Muse's method. :)
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...