Diy hide, safe materials??

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
grandlinegirl

Diy hide, safe materials??

Post by grandlinegirl » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:00 am

I want to make this:

Realistically, I'd like to purchase most of the materials at the dollar store except the aquarium silicone. If I go to the 'flower section' and buy gravel and stones there, is it safe to use on this project as long as I wash it well? Or do I actually have to buy the gravel/rocks from the pet store? I know the plants from the dollar store are safe, but what about other materials?

jarteta97

Re: Diy hide, safe materials??

Post by jarteta97 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:08 am

I'm pretty sure river rocks from the plant store are just the same as those from the pet store. The pet store likes you to think that their materials are "clean" and "safe" so they can up the price. If you boil them or bake them, they'll be safe :)
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

Topic author
grandlinegirl

Post by grandlinegirl » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:43 am

jarteta97 wrote:I'm pretty sure river rocks from the plant store are just the same as those from the pet store. The pet store likes you to think that their materials are "clean" and "safe" so they can up the price. If you boil them or bake them, they'll be safe :)
Yay, thanks! This is going to save me tons of money since I have to make a few of them :)

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:23 am

I love that hide!

Topic author
grandlinegirl

Post by grandlinegirl » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:44 am

Gah, me too! I'm planning on making a castle thing out of hides like that to take up one side of the tank. They'll all have holes and hides but they can climb all over it. I'm gonna add vines and plants to climb. I'll def add pics as I go!