shower caddy level

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
ClawedIntoMyHeart

shower caddy level

Post by ClawedIntoMyHeart » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:27 pm

So, stupid question but in my new tank I want to build two more levels, one will be a moss pit and another a shell shop, if my tank is tall enough that is. I searched for "second levels" and "shower caddy levels" in the search box, but didnt really find anything that explained how that works. I dont have a shower caddy in my actual shower and never have so I am not familiar with how they work (sorry kinda personal LOL) I was wondering how they go in the tank, if they just hang over the edge with metal or whatever, how do you close the lid? Also it looks like the actual caddy part is like a cage sort of thing, are there ones that are plastic so shells and moss and crabs dont fall through? Do you use suction cups?
What brand and type of caddy did you use for your tank? Thanks!

Oh also! I see a lot of people put sand at the bottom of their water pools along with clam shells that are siliconed. I want to do that, is there a certain type of sand to use so it doesnt float around and make the water gross, or should I just use the natural polished fish pebbles as the bottom instead??

Do the hermit crabs ever try to climb on the tubes for the bubblers?? Can they poke holes in them or do they leave em alone as long as they have other things?

What do you use as a divider that is thin and goes all the way to the bottom of the tank that separates the sandy beach and the eco earth/sand mix??

Whats the best thing to do food dish wise. I see most tats have two dishes that are in different areas, one is a main dish and the other is a clam shell or a smaller dish with different food in it. Do the crabs like to search for their food? should I do this?

I am making my shopping list right now and trying to kinda design my tank so I may have many more questions to come! I have already edited this thing 3 times lol. Make that 4......

Crabinski

Re: shower caddy level

Post by Crabinski » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:23 am

The type of shower caddy most of us have used is made of clear plastic and has suction cups to attach to the tank walls. The one I like is triangular with two suction cups on each side so it fits nicely in a corner and can serve as a shell shop or mosspit; I got it at Walmart for around $6 but here's a picture of it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/InterDesign-Bathr ... ower+caddy.

A plastic soap dish with suction cups will also work for a small shell shop.

Another easy way to create second levels is with a small shelving unit like this one from Walmart (around $6):

It's easy to cover the two shelves with plastic craft mesh and there's plenty of walking around room underneath.

Fish pebbles or bags of river rock from the dollar store are great for pool substrate: all you have to do is spill everything out when you do a water change, rinse off the pebbles and drop them back in! You can add a few flat scallop-type shells, too -- no siliconing needed.

Yes, the crabs do climb the bubbler tubing but I've never had one pinch through. As a preventive measure, there's a piece of fish net hanging in front of the tube so the crabs grab hold of that or the plants around the pools rather than the tubing itself.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

CrabLover1

Post by CrabLover1 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:14 am

My crabs like to climb the airline tubing, but they have never pinched a hole into it.

As far as a divider I don't use one as I have Eco Earth/sand mixed together....maybe a thin piece of plexiglass would work?

rainbow_crab

Post by rainbow_crab » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:05 pm

I use two different food dishes in separate areas because I feed different foods. Like one dish might have shrimp in it while the other has fruits in it. The crabs will seek out which one they want. I do it just for a variety in there diet. And yes it gives them something to do. When it comes to the water dishes if you choose to silicone gravel, shells or coral to it just make sure you use aquarium safe silicone or epoxy. If you choose to use a plexiglass divider you should use the same silicone or epoxy to do it to keep it crab safe. You don't need a divider really unless you don't want the ee and sand to mix at all. I mix mine because it keeps the substrate moist and creates a good consistency for burrows. I use the shower caddy s from Walmart as well. The corner caddy is great, I also use the long oval shaped ones. The suction cups are pretty sturdy. Sometimes the cups need replaced. Image

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:20 pm

Only good pic I have is FTS, but here's how mine are set up:

I like corner ones as you can see, but I also like to support them, because the suction cups aren't the best. I tried PVC covered in silicone and coco fiber, but from constant climbing, the coco fiber just kind of fell off. I'll probably end up wrapping them in needlepoint canvas or coconut fiber mats. I have two as shell shops (one for big and one for small), one as a sphagnum moss pit, and one as a soil pit, basically with Atlanta Botanical Garden mix, and I place sterilized leaf litter in there about twice a month.
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

Topic author
ClawedIntoMyHeart

Post by ClawedIntoMyHeart » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:57 pm

So today was busy... I had to get rid of some furniture and bring in new smaller furniture and move everything around, just so I could fit my crabbies new home in my bedroom XD The sacrifices we make for our pets...... Anyways Thanks for the help so far! I will probably do the 2 food dishes as well. I have decided I am gonna order a lid instead of have one made, if I can find one that is. I will have a eco earth/sand mix on one side but there wont be very much sand in it because I want to make a seperate "beach" Kinda like your aquarium Jarteta. I really like it. How many gallons is it? Also the reflection of your dog on the eco earth side looked like a strawberry crab at first 0-0 The white head was the shell, and the little red thing its wearing was the legs LOL it took me a looong time to figure out what it ACTUALLY was XD
I was wondering about supporting them, it seems like the moisture in the tank and the crabs grabbing onto them, the suction cups just eventually fall off and I dont want that happening while one of my little guys is in there lol. I probably wont do two shell shops, and if I dont is that bad? Do I need to have a small shell and big shell shop, or will the different size crabs be able to find the right shells okay?
I also thought of some more questions lol

1. I was wondering if sand dollars were okay to put on the beach just for decoration? I want my tank to be natural, pretty and functional lol.

2. Is there a place here where I can read up a little on Ecuadorian crab care? I would really like to have 2 in my tank, but IDK much about them yet or even if my tank is big enough.

3. The garden mix that you put in one of your caddies, what is that for exactly? Can you plant stuff in it that sprouts for the hermits to eat? If so what kind of seeds do you plant? Cause I would love to do that

4. So at the store the coco fiber comes in packs of three blocks, and it is measured by liters. How many blocks do I need to buy to fill up about 5 or 6 inches high with the CF in the 40g?

5. When doing a spot clean, do you guys clean up the hermits poop? Because it is super tiny and idk how to pick that up..... Are there special scoopers that sift through the bedding and get the poo? Or do you just mix it in with the bedding?

6. What is the best, preferably cheapest place to buy Cholla wood? I am on a pretty tight budget with this tank setup as I have many other animals to care for as well.

7. I had a fruit fly problem last summer that just took over the tank, it was nasty, they laid eggs in there and everything, and no matter what I did (switched out all the bedding, disinfected the tank and boiled every item possible) They would not stop coming. Is there any way to prevent this from happening this coming spring?

Thats all..... For now..... :crabbigsmile:

Topic author
ClawedIntoMyHeart

Post by ClawedIntoMyHeart » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:53 pm

So I found a versa-top lid that will fit my tank for $20 at petsmart. It isnt saying anywhere that it is out of stock, but it wont let me select the size or quantity I want, does that mean it isnt available? :( Cause petco doesnt carry any and idk where else to get one from. Should I go to the actual petsmart store?

CrabLover1

Post by CrabLover1 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:41 pm

I bought my aqueon versa top glass canopy online at Doctors Fosters and Smith (DFS).

Sand dollars are safe to put in the tank, they will even eat some of it too.

It says on DFS website that 3 bricks of Eco Earth will fill up a 40 gal. tank, but I am not sure how many inches it would fill the tank.

To clean up the hermit crab poop I use a small shovel that came from a beach bucket set and that works for me to pick up poop/food on the substrate.

Topic author
ClawedIntoMyHeart

Post by ClawedIntoMyHeart » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:28 pm

Someone said they dont make versa top for the 40 breeder.

3 bricks sounds a little too less, I will buy 2 packs of three to be on the safe side :) I use 1-1 1/2 in my 10 gal and get around 5 inches.

Thanks! I saw a shovel at the pet store that was specifically made for that, but it didnt work for me at all, I think it was only supposed to be used on sand and not cocofiber

CrabLover1

Post by CrabLover1 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:50 pm

I just looked at Doctors Foster and Smith's website and they have a Marineland glass canopy and they have one for a 40 breeder. :)

Topic author
ClawedIntoMyHeart

Post by ClawedIntoMyHeart » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:42 pm

Youre right! :o YAY! Does it have to be the Aqueon versa top lid, or can I get the marineland glass canopy? Cause I am not seeing an Aqueon lid for the 40 breeder. Theres a lid that is 36x18 but it says its for 50/65 gal and doesnt specifically say 40B. Will it still work or should I order the other one?

CrabLover1

Post by CrabLover1 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:32 pm

I would buy the Marineland glass canopy, only because the measurements for the 36" x 18" say 40 breeder and the Aqueon glass canopy doesn't. Just to be on the safe side. :)

Topic author
ClawedIntoMyHeart

Post by ClawedIntoMyHeart » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:11 am

Ok! it is in me cart :3 Thank you.

CrabLover1

Post by CrabLover1 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:19 am

Your welcome! :)

Topic author
ClawedIntoMyHeart

Post by ClawedIntoMyHeart » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:21 am

So I measured my hermies tonight, all three are mediums. One of them (Cobalt) will be coming on large here pretty soon, so its a darn good thing I upgraded, I was actually debating on returning the tank and getting a 55g instead, but I have no idea where I would put it considering I can barely fit this one in my room. So I just have to deal with it until I am forced to upgrade when they become Jumbos lol.
Anywho I finally named the crab that was in the painted shell, his name is C-3P0 because of his one red arm :lol: (if you havent watched the new star wars, GO) After I got done measuring I got out my camera to take some pics, and out of the millions I took I got 2 good pics -.- WHY MUST CRABS BE SO HARD TO PHOTOGRAPH WHY??! And my dog, fell asleep watching them all XD It was the cutest thing, she was watching for like 10 minutes because they were walking by her crate and then she was just out like a light hehe. I guess they arent only entertaining to us.

I have been designing on paper what I want my tank to look like and what items I want to do, and getting cheapest prices and adding em all up. So even though it is empty it is still getting done LOL
I hope to have it done by next month at the latest. I will probably have to work on some things as I go, but at least the little guys will be able to transfer into it.
Thanks for all your guys help! Itll make the crabs very happy I am sure.
If anyone thinks of any more suggestions or advice I will gladly take it :)