Velcro

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Velcro

Post by AwesomeHermit » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:50 pm

How can I remove very old velcro from a plastic tank? I am using an old 5 gallon for my isopods, and I need to remove the velcro or they will climb out.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Velcro

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:59 pm

From plastic?? Oils should break down any glue residues. Smear on some coconut oil and wait a day or two. If you are careful a razerblade will work but it will scratch.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:52 am

GooGone, that should get the stains right out! It works for me every time :)
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:32 pm

StellaCrab wrote:GooGone, that should get the stains right out! It works for me every time :)

Okay - I originally replied, and then deleted it to double check. I used googone on plastic a long time ago and the googone melted it. Also, googone is a chemical - you would not want to use this around isopods or crabs. - they both have modified gills. Just thought I would mention that. I also used to have acrylic over my real nails and it melted that too! I would never recommend that stuff!!!

Edit: I would probably use the razor blade as well. You can purchase one with a handle (which is the only kind I will use) from an auto parts store for $1.99 or $2.99 - I cannot remember. Then take off the adhesive left with the coconut oil or rubbing alcohol. If you use rubbing alcohol rinse it and let it air out. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:34 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
StellaCrab wrote:GooGone, that should get the stains right out! It works for me every time :)

Okay - I originally replied, and then deleted it to double check. I used googone on plastic a long time ago and the googone melted it. Also, googone is a chemical - you would not want to use this around isopods or crabs. - they both have modified gills. Just thought I would mention that. I also used to have acrylic over my real nails and it melted that too! I would never recommend that stuff!!!
Oh, yikes! I wouldn’t ever put that inside my tank, but assuming that AwesomeHermit has a glass tank, I didn’t think the plastic would be inside their tank at this moment, so that’s why I didn’t warn anyone not to use it around the crabs :)

I haven’t had problems with it, but I certainly won’t use it anymore!
Crabber Since 2016

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:36 pm

StellaCrab wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:

Oh, yikes! I wouldn’t ever put that inside my tank, but assuming that AwesomeHermit has a glass tank, I didn’t think the plastic would be inside their tank at this moment, so that’s why I didn’t warn anyone not to use it around the crabs :)

AwesomeHermit said using it on a plastic tank for isopods...
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:37 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
StellaCrab wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:

AwesomeHermit said using it on a plastic tank for isopods...
Forgive me, my eyes totally missed that!
Crabber Since 2016

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:39 pm

I got the velcro off, but how can I get the sticky stuff off?
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:41 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote:I got the velcro off, but how can I get the sticky stuff off?
Vinegar or coconut oil.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:50 pm

soilentgringa wrote:
AwesomeHermit wrote:I got the velcro off, but how can I get the sticky stuff off?
Vinegar or coconut oil.

Do I just scrub it off with a towel?
Crabbing for 4 years!

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:51 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote:
soilentgringa wrote:
Vinegar or coconut oil.

Do I just scrub it off with a towel?
I'd use an old washcloth or something yeah.

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:07 pm

It did not come off.
Crabbing for 4 years!

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:30 pm

Did you soak it at all or just try to scrub?

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:49 pm

soilentgringa wrote:Did you soak it at all or just try to scrub?

I tried to scrub it because the isopods are already in the tank
Crabbing for 4 years!