Need help

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Danik

Need help

Post by Danik » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:19 pm

Hello all. I'm trying to keep my humidity up in my 10 gallon crabby home. I'm trying to find a glass lid and I'm.stumped.

Hermiesguardian

Re: Need help

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:40 pm

In the meantime you can wrap plastic on the lid and tape it down. Saran wrap.or a garbage bag. You can get a sheet of plexi glass at a hobby store and cut it down to fit the lid you have now. Then tape it down. Do you have a moss pit? That really helps.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Danik

Post by Danik » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:27 pm

I have over half of the top covered with saran wrap at the current moment and I bought some live moss. I ordered a glass lid for an aquarium that fits width and length

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:35 pm

Danik wrote:I have over half of the top covered with saran wrap at the current moment and I bought some live moss. I ordered a glass lid for an aquarium that fits width and length

You can cover the entire top. They won't suffocate. Opening it to feed them every couple of days is enough air. What are you using for heat?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Danik

Post by Danik » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:44 pm

I recently bought a 25w blue light for night time. It's a moonlight reptile bulb by zoo med.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:04 am

Danik wrote:I recently bought a 25w blue light for night time. It's a moonlight reptile bulb by zoo med.
If the temperature is over 70 at night you don't need a heat lamp for night time.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Danik

Post by Danik » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:27 am

I bought just to have on hand if needed

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:53 am

Danik wrote:Hello all. I'm trying to keep my humidity up in my 10 gallon crabby home. I'm trying to find a glass lid and I'm.stumped.

So, i added a bubbler to my fresh water bowl to boost humidity. It cost about $20 total.
I bought a pump for $6 (the small ones for 10 gal are good, it's only for a small water bowl)
Tubing is about $2 and you get ALOT
the air stone was $1

just put it all together and it boosted my humidity a lot! i keep it in by wrapping the top of my tank in seran wrap. I have a 20 gal long and i couldn't find a lid that was within budget so seran wrap works perfectly. i put one layer across the back half of the top of the tank and tape it smooth and tight. then the front layer is only taped on one side so i can get in it from the other side. and if i take the front layer off completely the back half is still covered. it really helps a lot!

The bubbler idea i got from here, if someone could attach the link for me? i don't want to take credit.
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
Danik

Post by Danik » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:09 am

ciaraalston wrote:
Danik wrote:Hello all. I'm trying to keep my humidity up in my 10 gallon crabby home. I'm trying to find a glass lid and I'm.stumped.

So, i added a bubbler to my fresh water bowl to boost humidity. It cost about $20 total.
I bought a pump for $6 (the small ones for 10 gal are good, it's only for a small water bowl)
Tubing is about $2 and you get ALOT
the air stone was $1

just put it all together and it boosted my humidity a lot! i keep it in by wrapping the top of my tank in seran wrap. I have a 20 gal long and i couldn't find a lid that was within budget so seran wrap works perfectly. i put one layer across the back half of the top of the tank and tape it smooth and tight. then the front layer is only taped on one side so i can get in it from the other side. and if i take the front layer off completely the back half is still covered. it really helps a lot!

The bubbler idea i got from here, if someone could attach the link for me? i don't want to take credit.
Yeah I was looking into a setup like that

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:59 am

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

That should take you to the post that explains it with pics.
It's titled "double dish bubbler pics yo!"

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
Danik

Post by Danik » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:23 pm

ciaraalston wrote:https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

That should take you to the post that explains it with pics.
It's titled "double dish bubbler pics yo!"

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
Awesome

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk