I have a pretty big idea

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
mutsuko

I have a pretty big idea

Post by mutsuko » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:42 pm

So I have an idea for my crabitat, I dont know where to start though. What would you build this out of ? Wood is always an option but how would that do in humidity?
will post the building plans when i figure out how to add photos to posts?

Topic author
mutsuko

Re: I have a pretty big idea

Post by mutsuko » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:43 pm

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:59 pm

Cool! How big is your tank?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
mutsuko

Post by mutsuko » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:23 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:Cool! How big is your tank?

it is a 37 gallon 30 L x 12 W x 20 H inches

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:27 am

Plywood often contains glues and chemicals (not humidity friendly, may leech out) so be careful if you want to use wood. I’ve seen wooden hides and bridges just like those sold for hamsters if you want to check some of those out. No idea how safe they are, I haven’t looked at the materials.

You could also try plastic locker shelves or Tupperware containers covered in coconut mats or a similar covering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
mutsuko

Post by mutsuko » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:46 am

JoeHermits wrote:Plywood often contains glues and chemicals (not humidity friendly, may leech out) so be careful if you want to use wood. I’ve seen wooden hides and bridges just like those sold for hamsters if you want to check some of those out. No idea how safe they are, I haven’t looked at the materials.

You could also try plastic locker shelves or Tupperware containers covered in coconut mats or a similar covering.

That's a pretty solid idea with the Tupperware. I was thinking wood because it seemed to be easier in making the design but if I did some searching for just the right tubs, tupperware might actually be easier! (also probably cheaper)

Topic author
mutsuko

Post by mutsuko » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:14 pm

Guys! I am in the process of building it! I foound a great alternative for the structure, I will post pictures soon!

Topic author
mutsuko

Post by mutsuko » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:23 am

I am pretty sure one of my crabs is molting, I have not seen him in about a week so I cannot put this in the tank yet without risking digging him up, there is too much substrate to know exactly where he is. I will post a picture of it in the tank after I see all of my crabs on the surface :) :crabblush:

I am going to remove the substrate, put this on the very bottom of the tank, refill the substrate, they'll have 7-8" of substrate and total this thing is about 13", so there is about 5" of climbing structure :) this will have a wide hammock walk that is connected to a shower shelf moss pit that will be in the tank about 8" from the substrate. 3 levels of climbing total. :crabbigsmile:
Last edited by mutsuko on Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
mutsuko

Post by mutsuko » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:29 am

Topic author
mutsuko

Post by mutsuko » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:31 am

ashleylovesyou

Post by ashleylovesyou » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:44 pm

Lookin' good!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:19 pm

Really pretty. It seems tall. How will it fit in a 5" verticle space?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
mutsuko

Post by mutsuko » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:42 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:Really pretty. It seems tall. How will it fit in a 5" verticle space?
I am very bad at explaining, it will make sense when I put it in the tank and post the pictures, I am patiently excited to get it in there

Topic author
mutsuko

Post by mutsuko » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:34 am

I finished it! I got a peek at all 5 of my crabs and I was able to put this in! The hammock walk looks loose in the picture but it is actually a very tight bridge, and all products used are Hermit Crab safe. They still have two hides in there too so success all around!

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:30 am

Amazing

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk