Tote build questions

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
ciaraalston

Tote build questions

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:52 pm

Hey y'all! I've got this crazy idea for creating a tote tank and it's starting!!
I originally planned on getting 2 55 gallon totes. Went grocery shopping tonight and found some deals! A 45 gallon black tote (WITH WHEELS!!!!) for $15 and a 105 quart clear tote for $12. Ended up saving $10 altogether!
When we got home, I started looking at it all together and I'm wondering if this bottom tote is WAY too big??? The plan is to fill it completely with sand/EE, and continue about another inch or two up into the top just for looks. Is that too much? 2 of my PPs are large, but the other 4 PPs and 2 Es are teeny tiny/small. What do y'all think??
I've added a pic of how they will be set up so y'all can see what I'm looking at.

Also, I found this little light for $20 at Wal-Mart. I didn't buy it yet but I was wondering what y'all think??? I'll attach it to the top with zip ties. It's small and looks like it won't be super bright. I wanted a "night time" light because day time I just leave them in the sunlight but so far all the nighttime lights I've seen are just really bright. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tote build questions

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:59 pm

Is there really such a thing as too big?

I don’t know the tote’s dimensions, but I’d probably just fill it up as planned. Having a little extra substrate won’t hurt, it’s just a little heavier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:21 pm

JoeHermits wrote:Is there really such a thing as too big?

I don’t know the tote’s dimensions, but I’d probably just fill it up as planned. Having a little extra substrate won’t hurt, it’s just a little heavier.

Well, I know Es need more substrate because they tunnel. And jumbos of any species need more. So i figured with 6, two of them Es, eventually they'll all be jumbo and need it...

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:25 pm

ciaraalston wrote:

Well, I know Es need more substrate because they tunnel. And jumbos of any species need more. So i figured with 6, two of them Es, eventually they'll all be jumbo and need it...

I think you’re on the right track. You’ll do just fine. Good luck!

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:28 pm

JoeHermits wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:

I think you’re on the right track. You’ll do just fine. Good luck!

Thanks! ImageImage
I'll cut them and attach them together tomorrow and probably start adding substrate this weekend. I've got 5 and a half bricks of EE, and I'll probably grab 3 bags of sand to start. Hopefully that's enough. Lol

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:20 pm

ciaraalston wrote:Hey y'all! I've got this crazy idea for creating a tote tank and it's starting!!
I originally planned on getting 2 55 gallon totes. Went grocery shopping tonight and found some deals! A 45 gallon black tote (WITH WHEELS!!!!) for $15 and a 105 quart clear tote for $12. Ended up saving $10 altogether!
When we got home, I started looking at it all together and I'm wondering if this bottom tote is WAY too big??? The plan is to fill it completely with sand/EE, and continue about another inch or two up into the top just for looks. Is that too much? 2 of my PPs are large, but the other 4 PPs and 2 Es are teeny tiny/small. What do y'all think??
I've added a pic of how they will be set up so y'all can see what I'm looking at.

Also, I found this little light for $20 at Wal-Mart. I didn't buy it yet but I was wondering what y'all think??? I'll attach it to the top with zip ties. It's small and looks like it won't be super bright. I wanted a "night time" light because day time I just leave them in the sunlight but so far all the nighttime lights I've seen are just really bright. Thoughts?

I can’t wait to see what you will do with this! You are far tougher than me not being able to sneak peeks as you could through glass. I’ve really tried doing my best to keep away but I still find myself sneaking quick peeks. No more pics as I feel like right now it’s too stressful but I can’t help but at least peek before I go to bed...
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:23 pm

I think that its not way to big... tbh, I think its a good size. If you really want to, I would suggest leaving a couple inches bare of the bottom tote, and then use it as extra walking space personally.

As for the light, I can't comment much... but I reckon it will be brighter than you expect!

Subbing

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:51 am

aussieJJDude wrote:I think that its not way to big... tbh, I think its a good size. If you really want to, I would suggest leaving a couple inches bare of the bottom tote, and then use it as extra walking space personally.

As for the light, I can't comment much... but I reckon it will be brighter than you expect!

Subbing

Thanks! I'll do that! I have some net I can hang to help them climb up Image

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:19 am

fandt94 wrote: I can’t wait to see what you will do with this! You are far tougher than me not being able to sneak peeks as you could through glass. I’ve really tried doing my best to keep away but I still find myself sneaking quick peeks. No more pics as I feel like right now it’s too stressful but I can’t help but at least peek before I go to bed...

The top tote is actually a lot more clear than i expected. It doesn't look like it in the picture though. Once i get everything in, i should still be able to see decently. i almost considered adding some tint to the outside to help them feel more secure.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:04 pm

What do y'all think about planting chia seeds in this and adding to tank? It says organic but I wonder...? Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:14 pm

Also, y'all check out this beauty I found at Petco! We NEVER have cork rounds. The few I've seen have only been super tiny but they're snatched up quick. I'm so excited!! ImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:55 pm

Those pots are cardboard, right? I don’t think they’d be harmful. I’ve honestly never used such a thing in my tank.

As for the cork log, great find! I have one of my own and the crabs love it. It became their new favorite hiding place as soon as I put it in.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:24 am

JoeHermits wrote:Those pots are cardboard, right? I don’t think they’d be harmful. I’ve honestly never used such a thing in my tank.

As for the cork log, great find! I have one of my own and the crabs love it. It became their new favorite hiding place as soon as I put it in.

I hope mine love it! I'm going to lay it on its side like shown and add some moss inside.

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:42 am

ciaraalston wrote:
JoeHermits wrote:Those pots are cardboard, right? I don’t think they’d be harmful. I’ve honestly never used such a thing in my tank.

I hope mine love it! I'm going to lay it on its side like shown and add some moss inside.
I want one! All of our local stores always are sold out of good pieces like that...I see them in the live tanks and want to steal em! Lol
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:24 am

fandt94 wrote:
I want one! All of our local stores always are sold out of good pieces like that...I see them in the live tanks and want to steal em! Lol
Haha, consider going online? Ebay for example?

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies