Hamster wheel, yes or no?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
zokirova

Hamster wheel, yes or no?

Post by zokirova » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:55 pm

I have a 75g set up I've done as natural as possible, live plants lots of wood, moss. Should I brake the natural habitat and get a hamster wheel? Do the little guys really like it? Thanks!

Hermiesguardian

Re: Hamster wheel, yes or no?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:11 pm

Definately! In the wild they walk miles every day. So a hamster wheel helps them get exercise. It takes them a while to figure it out but once they do they hardly come off. I've had crabs walking almost non stop for over 24hrs.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:39 pm

You can always blend it in with some fake plants in front of it to help hide it if you find it much of an eye sore?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:51 pm

We have wheels in all of our tanks. There is rarely a time I do not have at least one guy in a wheel in my 75G. I actually added a second larger wheel in there tank so they had more room and more could use them at once.

I will have to upload the video I took of 4-5 purples trying to all go at once in the wheel, and riding the outside and inside! They are pretty comical on it!

They may not use it right away, It may take them a month to find it. Once they do depending on how many crabs you have they are almost always in it!
ImageImageImageImage
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
zokirova

Post by zokirova » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:03 pm

Awesome pictures and great to know, thanks!

JosephFireborn

Post by JosephFireborn » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:46 pm

What is the name of the plastic that everyone is using for the inside of their wheels and other things? I am going to get a hamster wheel and I want to line it. I know one of my three crabs will love it.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:48 pm

JosephFireborn wrote:What is the name of the plastic that everyone is using for the inside of their wheels and other things? I am going to get a hamster wheel and I want to line it. I know one of my three crabs will love it.
Most call it plastic needlepoint canvas (craft mesh or canvas mesh)...

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

JosephFireborn

Post by JosephFireborn » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:46 am

aussieJJDude wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:48 pm
Most call it plastic needlepoint canvas (craft mesh or canvas mesh)...

Thanks so much.

I was moving my hermit crab cage that was like a 40gal and I got disoriented and fell and the tank shattered against the door, but only one side so the crabbos are fine. I moved them into a smaller tank while I went shopping. Came home with a massive 38x18x24 tank and now it just feels too empty and I want to build more for them to do.

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:42 am

Well they will love having a wheel. My crabs are on mine all the time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Thu May 02, 2019 11:24 pm

How large are you hamster wheels?

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri May 03, 2019 6:59 am

We use 5.5" for our smaller crabs and 10" wheels for our larger crabs. We consider our larger crabs with shell opening bigger than 1". The smaller crabs can spin the 5.5 wheels easier. They all still go in either wheels but they do use both sizes.

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Fri May 03, 2019 12:03 pm

Motörcrab wrote:We have wheels in all of our tanks. There is rarely a time I do not have at least one guy in a wheel in my 75G. I actually added a second larger wheel in there tank so they had more room and more could use them at once.

I will have to upload the video I took of 4-5 purples trying to all go at once in the wheel, and riding the outside and inside! They are pretty comical on it!

They may not use it right away, It may take them a month to find it. Once they do depending on how many crabs you have they are almost always in it!
ImageImageImageImage
Hey motorcrab can you post a pic of your thermomer/hygrometer set up?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri May 03, 2019 1:34 pm

Here is my Acurite holder in my 75. I just zip tie my heat probe for my thermostat to the side.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Sat May 04, 2019 7:12 am

I recommend hamsters wheels in all crabitats that are big enough for one, the crabs really do appreciate walking on it! I find at least one on mine every single day, and when more than one walks on their together it's quite a sight to watch!
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat May 04, 2019 6:26 pm

I have two wheels in each of my crabitats. I highly recommend them! I prefer the kaytee silent spinners. Craft mesh can be purchased in individual sheets at Michael's. :) Walmart sells it too, but you have to purchase it in a variety pack. I'm sure JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby sell it as well, but I'm not sure if individually or in a variety pack. :) I personally purchase the medium sized wheels. With this size I have hermits of all sizes that can use them. I recently acquired a Ruggie that is pretty small, and it can turn the large wheel. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com