Plexiglass lids

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
ciaraalston

Plexiglass lids

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:42 pm

Hey yall! I want to cut a plexiglass lid for the 80 gallon. Those of you with plexiglass lids, do you have anything on top holding them down? I'll have a light on top, but I dont think its heavy enough. What do yall use?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Hermiesguardian

Re: Plexiglass lids

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:10 pm

ciaraalston wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:42 pm
Hey yall! I want to cut a plexiglass lid for the 80 gallon. Those of you with plexiglass lids, do you have anything on top holding them down? I'll have a light on top, but I dont think its heavy enough. What do yall use?

Is it framed? Can you find a mesh lid to fit? I have a mesh lid on my 90gal and taped plexiglass to it.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:18 pm

You can use plexiglass, but the heat and humidity will cause it to slowly bend inward.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:42 pm

odelayheehoo wrote:You can use plexiglass, but the heat and humidity will cause it to slowly bend inward.
Same thing happened to all of my handmade plexi lids. I gave up and went with glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:03 am

My plexiglass never bent. Maybe because it's laid on top of a mesh lid and taped securely down.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:17 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:My plexiglass never bent. Maybe because it's laid on top of a mesh lid and taped securely down.
Yeah, that would work. Mine was under my mesh lid.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:46 pm

My plexi lid also bowed for half of my 75 G. It is 16 x 22 x 3/16. It also has a 6.5" round hole cut into the center. That is so my UVB can shine directly into the tank so it isn't filtered. I had it made at a local glass shop and it was around $30. A glass top for both sides was around $50 I think.

If you go with a custom plexi glass top I would either add reinforcement around the edge, possiblly 1/2 or 5/8 strips of wood. Then add a strip down the center and attach a hinge as well. You could even bump up something thicker like 1/4 or 3/8". With all of that you could easily be paying someone $100 or more for a custom top.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:00 pm

So, with the price of plexiglass, I dont think we are going that route immediately. I totally underestimated those numbers. I would have ended up spending about $100 for the lid, which isnt a bad price but I also have to reinforce it so it doesnt warp and fasten it down all around. So, for right now this is what we have.

I HATE this because every time I open the tank for food and water changes I have to unload all this stuff, do what I gotta do, then reload it all back. It's a hassle. But it's what I gotta do until we figure out a permanent lid.

I'll go into detail on another post, but here's what we got tonight!

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:03 pm

ciaraalston wrote:So, with the price of plexiglass, I dont think we are going that route immediately. I totally underestimated those numbers. I would have ended up spending about $100 for the lid, which isnt a bad price but I also have to reinforce it so it doesnt warp and fasten it down all around. So, for right now this is what we have.

I HATE this because every time I open the tank for food and water changes I have to unload all this stuff, do what I gotta do, then reload it all back. It's a hassle. But it's what I gotta do until we figure out a permanent lid.

It’s so clean and crisp!

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:10 pm

Lol yeah, I estimate about 2 days before they destroy it!

Any recommendations on where to place my accurite? Right now it's just sitting on the sub, front middle of tank. I've got a second reader in the left front corner, it's a small corded thermometer only that goes with my digital one the UTH is plugged into. (Does that make sense? I feel like it's a rambling mess)

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:05 pm

LeeHasCrabs wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:17 pm
Yeah, that would work. Mine was under my mesh lid.

With the plexiglass on top they can still climb upside down on the mesh lid.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:11 pm

ciaraalston wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:00 pm
So, with the price of plexiglass, I dont think we are going that route immediately. I totally underestimated those numbers. I would have ended up spending about $100 for the lid, which isnt a bad price but I also have to reinforce it so it doesnt warp and fasten it down all around. So, for right now this is what we have.

I got my plexiglass from Hobby Lobby for about $6. It's thin sheets.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:56 am

Hermiesguardian wrote: I got my plexiglass from Hobby Lobby for about $6. It's thin sheets.
$6?!? Omg I'm gonna go check! Thank you!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:42 am

ciaraalston wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:56 am
$6?!? Omg I'm gonna go check! Thank you!

You're welcome!

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Thu May 09, 2019 3:51 pm

Lol Nice set up!
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️