Custom hide

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Enson

Custom hide

Post by Enson » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:46 am

Hey everyone I built a custom hide out of corrugated plastic, rocks, moss, and silicone. I threw in a resin baby groot for a small chia garden.

The coconut huts I had just weren't cutting it. Only having one entrance/exit was a disaster waiting to happen because they could block each other inside. Also one of my hermits was too big and if she went inside the coconut hut, it would rest on her shell out of the sub.. lol..

I'd like some recommendations for revision 2. I plan on making another with the experience from making the first one behind me.

What do you all think would help improve it??ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

CrabbyLover77

Re: Custom hide

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:34 pm

That's so cool! I don't think I would change anything. It looks like you gave the crabs a 2/3 car garage haha! Now all they need is little smart cars to park in there LOL.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:55 pm

OMG, I LOVE IT!!! It looks amazing! I wouldn't have thought to do something like this, so I'm super impressed. The groot is too fun.
Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

crabbycasey

Custom hide

Post by crabbycasey » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:02 pm

Does it get any better?! Hides, moss pit and 2nd level all in one, it’s great...love the Groot too!

Edit: I wanted to ask what did you use to stick the rocks to the housing? I would love to custom build for my hermies, but wasn’t sure what materials (glue) were safe...

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Enson

Post by Enson » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:11 pm

I used silicone. I figure if it's safe to have in the corners of the tank holding it together it would be safe there too. Just make sure it says aquarium safe or is 100% silicone with no additives.

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:14 pm

Enson wrote:I used silicone. I figure if it's safe to have in the corners of the tank holding it together it would be safe there too. Just make sure it says aquarium safe or is 100% silicone with no additives.

Ahh, thank you! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beckanai

Post by Beckanai » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:06 pm

That looks so fun and cute! I love that you made it! Definitely super unique and its everything they love in one go!

You said you wanted to make a second, I could see you making some kind of water lagoon or waterfall, you seem crafty!

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

All PPs: David, Frank, Bob, Paul 2.0, Hank, and Eugene 2.0

New to crabbing an lovin'it!
7 PP's - David, Frank, Bob, Hank, Larry, Eugene 2.0, and Paul 2.0

Topic author
Enson

Post by Enson » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:33 am

Beckanai wrote:That looks so fun and cute! I love that you made it! Definitely super unique and its everything they love in one go!

You said you wanted to make a second, I could see you making some kind of water lagoon or waterfall, you seem crafty!

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

All PPs: David, Frank, Bob, Paul 2.0, Hank, and Eugene 2.0
Thanks!!
A waterfall is a possibility down the road. But not in this little 20gal. I'm in a tiny apartment and can't fit much more. Hopefully I'll be buying a house next year and can do some upgrades.. I wanna build my own enclosure for them some day.