what are you using for glue?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author

what are you using for glue?

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:18 pm

I need to make the water dish accessible for my ant. I also want to glue these 5000 craft shells I bought to a flower pot. I was thinking of either shells or aquarium gravel for the new water dish. I also would love to make one of those second levels with the legs. What do you use for that?

Kathy

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:31 am

You could use Aquaruim sealant, or aquarium epoxy, or even glue gun wax has been reported to not cause any problems, although I'm not sure if it would hold as well as the others.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:04 am

I've used a hot glue gun on both my shell shack and the plexi-glass second level, and they're holding out fine for me so far.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:20 pm

Really? A glue gun works?

Can you tell I am not so crafty, but would love to try some of these things. Just the word "epoxy" makes me nervous. But a glue gun. That I can use!

Have you gotten the stuff you used with a glue gun wet?

Thanks!

Topic author
MushroomKitty

Post by MushroomKitty » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:12 pm

Is it really safe to use super glue and that kind of stuff? I made food dishes with super glue and shells and put them in my tank, but that same day I discovered Tachcoma dead from what is to be assumed PPS. But out of panic I threw away the feeders I made, along with the tube of sponge I found him in.

I'd really like to use some kind of adheasive for their second levels, but I wasn't so sure if it was safe to use them around the crabs. :shock:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:52 am

Superglue is really fumey - I don't think superglue would be safe at all. It is a lot stronger than glue-gun glue and smells more, so I think superglue would be a definite no.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:36 pm

Another glue question: How long do you have to wait before you can put something you glued with aquarium sealant into the tank with the crabs? I know it's supposed to take 24 hours to dry, but is there a need to wait the full 48 hours until it's cured?

DustAndEchoes

Post by DustAndEchoes » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:39 pm

I think to be on the safe side, wait as long as the directions say, to avoid fatal collapsing.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:02 pm

I usually wait the full 48 hours for aquarium sealant to cure, even if it won't be used to hold water. By then the smell is pretty well gone, too.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:22 pm

Hello!

I've always used plain silicone and had no problems. Just make sure to wait the 48 hours or so for the smell to dissipate, then it's perfectly neutral and odorless. I use it to make a basin with plexiglass and it's been water proof for 1.5 years now.

The only thing to check is to get regular silicone, not the kind for bathrooms as those have a 'mold retardant' tha is essentially an anti-fungal agent that might be unsafe for crabs.

Ive tried aquarium sealant and honestly the silicone is far cheaper, and works better. I suspect it's basically the same product with different labelling ;)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:32 pm

I wondered whether there was an alternative type of glue to aquarium sealant. I just recently used the sealant to build a little hermie hut and it didn't work as well as I wanted it to. It turned out ok, but I think a caulk gun with some silicone would have been much easier to handle, especially since the bottom busted out of my aquarium sealant tube and I had to scrape it out with a plastic knife. :(

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:10 pm

Aquarium epoxy is really easy to use. You just kneed it with your fingers until it turns white and it will stick to any surface, even the plastic surfaces that weren't rough enough to cause sealtant or glue gun to stick to it.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:16 pm

Where do you get aquarium epoxy? I know the local WalMart only has aquarium sealant, so do most pet stores carry the epoxy or would I need to order it from the net or something?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:35 pm

I got it at Petdiscounters online, I can't find it locally either. I hope they still carry it.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:35 pm

Yeah I was wondering where you could get it. Does anybody know a store you could go to to get it? Could you use a glue gun to glue plexi-glass and use it as a water dish? I can never find one that I really like. They are deep enough and work fine it's just that it doesn't have that "perfect fit"