Sandtastic sand isn't fantastic

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author

Sandtastic sand isn't fantastic

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:50 pm

I purchased Santastic brand sand the other day. Here are some pictures. It's nasty. It's dirty, it's dark and has some black pieces of rock in it. Please avoid buying it for your hermies!

Topic author
brandi9976

Post by brandi9976 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:54 pm

Yes I agree I bought this one night out of desperation of nowhere being open and I have to agree, it took me forever to make it clean enough to use. It is possible but it took alot of washing.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:59 pm

Sounds like it might have been worth a trip to the beach for some decent sand!

Topic author
brandi9976

Post by brandi9976 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:13 pm

If it weren't for the red tide I may have considered it. lol

Ryanstein

Post by Ryanstein » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:18 pm

I got my Fiddler crabs sand from Cablehead beach in PEI on our vacation. :P That stuff is amazing! I put some in with my hermits, and they loved it too! :) It is very fine grade, NO junk in it, and I got it way up on the side of a dune where the tide can't reach. No wonder it's so clean! :) I did not break laws getting the sand on the dune, though, as the entrance to beach goes over a dune. I got the sand off to the side, where no one had stepped (this beach at the max has about 5 people on it at any given time).
1 E, 1 PP, our dog Lekima, and our cat Ruby!

~Hermit Crabbing since December 2005~
~Fiddler Crabbing since August 2006~

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:03 pm

Mazel tov on your Bar Mitzvah!

Excellent find on the sand - maybe next time I'm down in Florida I'll take enough home in my bathing suit. :wink:

Ryanstein

Post by Ryanstein » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:31 pm

Thanks! :D

I used bags to hold the sand, but I figured out pretty fast that about 5kg of sand would not quite work well with a cheap Ziploc bag (the zipper completely came off and ripped). I ended up doubling all the bags (four of them) with more bags. Getting them in the car was a bit tricky! :shock:
1 E, 1 PP, our dog Lekima, and our cat Ruby!

~Hermit Crabbing since December 2005~
~Fiddler Crabbing since August 2006~