Top Fin Natural Tree Root Ornaments Review?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Rosepetalbed

Top Fin Natural Tree Root Ornaments Review?

Post by Rosepetalbed » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:52 am

I bought this decoration for when my crabs move into the 125 gallon and I really like it but worried about the holes and crabs getting stuck....does anyone use it for their hermits? Feedback appreciated! :D

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2752221
125 Gallon tank with 54 crabs ...E's PP'S,Violas,Rugs, And Indo's

aquav

Post by aquav » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:20 pm

Years ago I had the Bonsai tree from top fin and didn't realize that one of the crabs got stuck inside. He was unable to get out and when I found him it was too late :(
The company has made adjustments and the underside is now a solid piece.
I learned my lesson though and anything I buy that has holes which may pose a problem, I seal with aquarium sealant.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”. Mahatma Gandhi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:46 pm

I had the grey ones for my fish for a few years. I can say that at least for fish tanks they are awful! Water and debris gets stuck inside those holes and since there's no current that can get inside anaerobic bacteria grows and the whole thing just reeks of stench.

The paint on the outside isn't the best quality either and after just three years of being submerged almost all of the paint had worn off. And when I removed them from the water they smelled like an auto-body paint shop. Too toxic for my fishes, that's for sure! I really couldn't get over how horrible they smelled. I switched to natural wood in the tanks after that.

I hope they hold up better for you in a crab tank! If you're worried about the holes you could seal them up using pebbles and silicone to keep the crabs out. It might not look pretty, but it'll be functional! (And it'll keep them from dropping food or poo into the holes and having that rot where you can't get to it!)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:48 pm

My crabs love it! :)

I stuffed a shell and a fake silk plant into the holes, so no getting in! :lol: