Is this DIY good?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
so101isfun

Is this DIY good?

Post by so101isfun » Wed May 11, 2011 10:28 am

I was looking for a DIY humidifier on Google and I stumbled upon this..
Get a sandwich bag
Place a damp sponge in the bag
seal the bag and punch a few holes near the top
keep a small puddle of water in the bag at all times
Hang it somewhere (I was thinking of hanging it on the top of the tank where the crabs can't get to it

Is it safe for the crabs? I really want to do this until I can save up $60 to get a fogger.
[Crabbie count-4] Lavender(girl) Fiddlesticks(boy) Sulfur(boy) Caffeine(girl)
R.I.P Bonfire

CrabbyIrene

Post by CrabbyIrene » Wed May 11, 2011 11:20 am

Is there a way to circulate the humid air into the tank? Pump of any sort? If it is just a bag with water & sponge Its not going to raise the humidity.
7 PP's, 5 crazy E's!
Crabby since 2007

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed May 11, 2011 5:18 pm

I agree with Irene. Without air movement it's also going to be a mold paradise!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

saramuss

Post by saramuss » Wed May 11, 2011 7:29 pm

i use a small old computer fan and it helps circulate the air. also a moss pit would give them more hiding spots and help raise humidity. plus they can eat the moss! lol (it makes them have ittle green poopies! haha!)

amyemaloney

Post by amyemaloney » Sun May 15, 2011 6:16 pm

In my crabitat, I've got a small aquarium air pump attached to some tubing which I feed into my fresh water dish. I've got the end attached to a suction cup, which I place a clean sponge on top. This helps to raise my humidity almost 10%, very cheaply! Watch out for air circulation though! Mold is all about stagnate air and lots of humidity.

amyemaloney

Post by amyemaloney » Sun May 15, 2011 6:16 pm

In my crabitat, I've got a small aquarium air pump attached to some tubing which I feed into my fresh water dish. I've got the end attached to a suction cup, which I place a clean sponge on top. This helps to raise my humidity almost 10%, very cheaply! Watch out for air circulation though! Mold is all about stagnate air and lots of humidity.