Snake Help

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
Kaleighshermies

Snake Help

Post by Kaleighshermies » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:23 pm

I have a five and a half foot red tail boa constrictor named Nala. When she was small I decorated her tank all the time and always made it interesting for her to explore. Now that she is so big she out grew all her hideys, squished all her vines and would snap her favorite branch if I were to ever put it back in there lol. SHE IS BORED! I swear lol she used to come out all the time with me and now that I am working 24/7 all I ever see is her climbing the walls of her tank. Any suggestions on what I can put in her tank for her to climb or hide under. All I have is her favorite log which she is too big for but she still curls under it and has it just sit on top of her lol and a cat litter box as a water bowl so she can still take her baths. (And poop in ugh) Also any ideas on how to spruce the tank up appearance wise? Just so plan and boring looking. Thanks! If anyone could throw out some suggestions Nala would appreciate it.
7 PP Hermies I think? Lost count tbh 5 PPs and 2 Es
Crabbing since 2004

Topic author
Kaleighshermies

Re: Snake Help

Post by Kaleighshermies » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:29 pm

Oh and one more thing:
Any suggestions on community websites for snake lovers? I love it here at HCA and know there are other snake enthusiasts on here. If there is a group similar to this one with a great community and knowledge for snakes please let me know.
Crabbing since 2004

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:33 pm

I don't care for reptile groups much, there aren't a lot of moderates out there anymore. When I have to I rely on RFUK, but their forum, not their FB group. FB has the most groups as the community has moved away from BB boards, but those swing so far in either direction I can't stand them because they make me want to rage out. Snek info booth had a care group that wasn't too out there earlier this year, but for all I know there may have been a coup by now. Personally, I befriended my local pet shop gal since she rescues and breeds, and the guy that runs a semi-local reptile rescue, and have a good reptile vet for when things get out of control so I don't have to rely on online groups.

If you want it to be easy to clean, it limits things. But you could totally go more natural with piled branches to hide and climb on. I never have because I have cleaned some messes in my day and like the more simple route. Some things I have seen that look more natural but are still plastic or resin - Exo Terra makes a rock like tortoise hide that is large enough for big snakes. There are corner bowl reptirocks that would also be large enough for soaking that look a little better than a litterbox. The half logs also come in some pretty big sizes.

I personally swear by the black hide boxes from Reptile Basics and LLL, those things are indestructible, dark like they need it to be, clean up with just wiping, and they come in a bunch of sizes - all of my snakes have a pair, one for cool side and one for warm. Not pretty really, but completely functional and they don't shatter when dropped.

I did up my ball python's 75s to be functional with easy maintenance, but wanted to throw in some stuff for them to enjoy and to make a little more natural. I used a $10 curtain rod to give them a climbing area. (I want to eventually have a few in each as they are always on them at night.) Got some large fake plants from Chewy to add some greens. Found the black (dark inside, which is important) camo boxes at Walmart for like $6 which are their moist hides. And the plastic bucket for water I am not a huge fan of but it is a food safe plastic and I no longer have to stand on a stepstool and hurt my back to change their water!

I have also done platforms and hides before using wood and spraypaint. I enjoyed those but my kingsnake poops three to four times a week and likes to paint with it so that became a hassle, fast. Thought about making new ones for the balls since they are so tidy. Go with the paint cans of Rustoleum over the spray for a solid waterproof coat, at least 3 coats, and it needs to air out for a few weeks.

I haven't done this for my larger snakes, but if you can get access to a tile saw, you can make your own hides with silicon up to 18x18 inches, which is how big standard tiles can be found. They would be heavy, but with the right pattern or natural stone they aren't garish. I use big slabs of montauk slate for the balls and regular slate cut to size for the smaller guys to even out the snakes basking areas, and have little hides for my geckos and baby snakes. We have used everything from 25 cent leftover ceramic and porceline tiles from the ReStore to fancy slate, marble and travertine. Do not recommend travertine though, too crumbly and pitted.

I also used to have a live plant in with my king for a few years. He finally tunneled enough to nearly kill it, so it is getting some much needed rest! He adored hiding in it and digging into the pot like a mole. I keep thinking I should give him a box of dirt to play in!

(The leo with the dark slate tank had MBD when we rescued, which is why she looks strange and why her tank is handicap accessable!)

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:24 am

Large logs for fish tanks may also be a good idea, especially if they long/thick pieces like Malaysian bogwood or hornwood. Otherwise, what Wod said.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Kaleighshermies

Post by Kaleighshermies » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:09 am

Thanks so much for all the suggestions!
Now if I were to get some natural branches from outside do people still soak them in bleach? I know my dad did it with his snakes and never had a problem but I was always too afraid to do it.
Crabbing since 2004

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:24 pm

Bleach soak or baking. There can be native snake mites on things from outside which can potentially get on your snake. Better to be safe, I think there are parasites they can transmit, and quite franky they are time consuming to get rid of.

Topic author
Kaleighshermies

Post by Kaleighshermies » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:25 pm

Thanks so much!
Crabbing since 2004

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:35 pm

Wode u are amazing! Is there any pet/animal u havnt rescued? :)
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:18 am

Happyhermiehome wrote:Wode u are amazing! Is there any pet/animal u havnt rescued? :)
It was so funny you typed this - my husband looks at me tonight, says "that's another species checked off, what's next on the list?" Image I just about died from shock. I swear there is no list! We just take whatever is dumped into our hands whenever it happens. I figure that is the best way to earn good karma, the universe can't be wrong after all!

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:45 am

wodesorel wrote:
Happyhermiehome wrote:Wode u are amazing! Is there any pet/animal u havnt rescued? :)
It was so funny you typed this - my husband looks at me tonight, says "that's another species checked off, what's next on the list?" Image I just about died from shock. I swear there is no list! We just take whatever is dumped into our hands whenever it happens. I figure that is the best way to earn good karma, the universe can't be wrong after all!

May the universe reward you handsomely for all your efforts! :)
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P