Fiddler crab eggs!

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:52 am

Since the eggs need to be with Luna for about two weeks, that would be nough time to cycle the tank, presuming I have everything.[/quote]

But I think you would need to cycle the tank longer considering it would be a larger tank mabye about a month (?).

here is another artical on aqautic hobbyist about fishless cycling.

www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15

Topic author
Ryanstein

Post by Ryanstein » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:42 pm

Thanks for the link! :) How would the overflow work? If I could use that, then water changing would be a breeze. Also, would that Dirt Magnet filter make it so that I would not need to water change as much?
1 E, 1 PP, our dog Lekima, and our cat Ruby!

~Hermit Crabbing since December 2005~
~Fiddler Crabbing since August 2006~

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:49 pm

Ryanstein wrote:Thanks for the link! :) How would the overflow work? If I could use that, then water changing would be a breeze. Also, would that Dirt Magnet filter make it so that I would not need to water change as much?

Well the drain nossal is built in on the side of the tank and you open it some way or another so it drains I think that you would need to get a very small one so as not to disturb to much of the water. After posting that post it came to my attention that a Drain nossal would not work for raising larvae because mabye they would be sucked out with the water (?) this needs some looking into so I would AGAIN lol consult aqautic hobbyist :). After all they are Aqauriast I am not ,even though I would to get fish unfortuanatly space is an issue. Alas, somday :)

I don't think the dirt nossal would lessen any your amount of water changes. I would ask a aqauriast about this one.
Last edited by Guest on Thu May 24, 2007 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Ryanstein

Post by Ryanstein » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:54 pm

Yeah, I thought of that after I posted. The drain would probably create a suction. :| Well, I guess constant water changes can't be avoided. Even with that filter. I was reading the other page there on the red clawed crabs, and I remembered that the dead larvae would raise the nitrates, so I might need some brackish snails, if they even exist, to clean up the tank. :|

My mom said to maybe wait for a bit on the breeding of the fidds, as I am kind of busy right now. Maybe I'll wait until the summer, and by the end of summer, presuming they are still alive, they might be easier to take care of, as they would be of decent size. 8) Just a thought. 8)
1 E, 1 PP, our dog Lekima, and our cat Ruby!

~Hermit Crabbing since December 2005~
~Fiddler Crabbing since August 2006~