I bought a patriot crab (pictures enclosed)

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:38 pm

NotaMallard wrote:Alright. Again, thank you for all of this info! I guess I'm deeper into this than I planned. I was prepared for a relatively small sized crab for only a few years. But hey, this is fine too.
Yep. Just like the land hermit crabs, eh? :D

Actually, that 13 years is the actual documented time for just being in captivity in the lab. The estimated age is supposedly 20-30 years....:shock: :D

Here's more little anecdotal references from a random webpage:
Rose Marie Bove, maybe Canada (from spelling), July 2, 2008
Just a heads up. You said maximum Cardisoma armatum size is 3 inches. Incorrect. My crab is 4 inches across carapace and is in the process of moulting again. I've had him for 5 years now, so with legs about 4 inches per side he's going to be over 12 inches across. I've read that these crabs can reach 6 inches across [the carapace].
Origin: Last millennium, we never really knew where patriot crabs came from until one of our Nigerian customers saw them and said they were very common in Nigeria.
http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Bugs,%20Patriot%20Crab.htm

NotaMallard wrote:He's done a lot of digging lately, and ravenously destroyed some salmon I put in there. But boy is he skittish! I've seen him out a few times, but as soon as he noticed me he darted quicker than I could imagine.
:lol: Yeah. Very Voracious. :lol:

Ideally, sand/mud substrate that goes all the way down into groundwater would be best, but for current methods, the "turtle tank with gravel-like" tank method is best so far with regards to maintenance, feeding, observing, etc. Also, some sort of hidey in the water (like a rock or driftwood or plastic driftwood replica) would be recommended to provide a hiding place when he molts in the water.

In the future, be aware that he may/will try to rip apart air hoses, sponge filters, or uproot tank decor, though..for fun, perhaps..... :(

Oh, and don't call his bluff when he does the "threat" pose (aka: laterus merus pose) - he will pinch...hard. :shock:

I'd also recommend a bowl and a spatula when you do need to take him out of the tank for cleanings and such. :D

eregel

Post by eregel » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:44 pm

I kept fids and hermies together for awhile, but it turned out to be problematic. The fids need to burrow in wet sand, the hermies try too but it being so wet is terrible for them. I finally just decided that while I COULD keep them together, it was a lot less stressful for all of us if I kept them apart.

What I HAVE done is develop a tank with fids and black mollies - mollies thrive in brackish water; watching the fish and crabs interact is pretty funny.

crabloverhr

Post by crabloverhr » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:21 pm

I think Poncho has had success with fiddlers and hermies together.

crabloverhr

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:41 am

I tried hermits and fiddlers before. The hermits ate the fiddlers, all of them. :cry:
Semi-active
Keeping C.Brevimanus "C.Purpureus" C.Rugosus C.Scaevola C.Perlatus C.Pseudorugosus C.???